Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: I\'ve lost the desire to play poker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

With poker, IMO, the addiction is more likely to come with the lifestyle, not the game itself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-07-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for myself, I dislike the poker world and the vast majority of poker players

[/ QUOTE ]

you should take a closer look at yourself
Old 03-07-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for myself, I dislike the poker world and the vast majority of poker players

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the same way.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I actually think these people who don't want to play at all anymore are very likely to be struggling with addiction. You don't see people making posts like "I just can't bring myself to eat strawberry ice cream anymore." That's because they used to ate it while they liked it and then when they got sick of it they just stopped eating it and it was no big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]
If someone is only playing for the money and don't enjoy doing it... constantly having to force themselves then they aren't addicted at all imo. It's similar to someone who has a job they have to go to every morning, they don't want to be doing it but they realize the opportunity cost of doing something else. They aren't addicted to their job even though they are spending a large portion of their time at it... they just have to. If I was given 5 million i'd likely never play poker again in my life, at least not seriously.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are blaming other prolblems in your life on online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-08-2007, 02:06 AM

Tizerd, Edge, Triumph (and others)...thanks for the posts. I've only been doing online poker as a mid stakes player for a living 1.5yrs (in essence, not long at all). I too hate to lose and find myself anxious before the start of my day (it wasn't always that way). Of course, once I start playing, I feel better and get into the groove. But I no longer look forward to playing online (in person is another matter).

Online poker is work now. And I'm not complaining at all. I make more money per hour doing this than anything else I can do. It's actually a blessing to me that I'm no longer addicted (as I once was). I play just a few hours a day/5days a week and have tons of free time now. I used to be driven to want to the best player I could be, but I no longer value being a great poker player (I just value the money). And this could be due to the current state of online poker...as triumph said, its gotten even more stressful than just figuring out the right plays to make. I have to worry about getting my money and worry about what's going to happen in the near future.

Anyway, I'm not adding anything to this post (sorry) but wanted to thank you all for what you've added. It's refreshing to know that others are in the same boat, kinda (misery loves company?).

But, with all of that said, I'm not planning on changing my occupation and will be bitter if anything forces me to change it (I'll just play for the money). Thanks again, guys.
Kodfish
Old 03-08-2007, 01:42 PM

FWIW... I am a newbie here, been visiting for a long time, but never really posted much. But, I think this post is really fascinating. Anyone who has played for any amount of time, seriously, has had thoughts along these lines. Regardless of running good, bad, etc. I give props to the high stakes posters who are honest enough to actually talk like this. If anything it might wake a few kids up who otherwise might not be able to avoid getting into trouble. It def. without a doubt can be a slippery slope and often times there is a very fine line between hobby, work, obsession and addiction. So props to you guys.... Poker should be fun, and it should also be profitible, and it should rarely if ever be problematic. If any of those three start to occur something may need to change. GL all. Tx for your thoughts and work on here. Also... my personal opinion, it has never been the same since US government involvement. Not sure if it's the tougher games, the smaller game selection, or some sort of weird feeling that the "acceptance" of poker and the it's newfound national popularity, gave way to the feeling like we were doing something shady, and what would happen next, and is my money safe, and do the smaller crowds make me more succeptible to cheating, and etc. etc. like noted earlier. The shiny newness of online poker is gone for me. I still play, but it's def. not the same.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and Tizerd being Mizzles was not a secret.

[/ QUOTE ]
And I actually think these people who don't want to play at all anymore are very likely to be struggling with addiction. You don't see people making posts like "I just can't bring myself to eat strawberry ice cream anymore." That's because they used to ate it while they liked it and then when they got sick of it they just stopped eating it and it was no big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw i dont think this is even close to being the same thing.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are blaming other prolblems in your life on online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely agree to give a bit of a personal example my internet was done for about two days and I did absolutely nothing poker related but I sat in my room and watched like a dozen episodes of the Sopranos. Did the sopranos take over my life?
Old 03-08-2007, 06:34 PM

A lot of people are being too melodramatic. Go down to a factory and ask people if they would like to make a a few $100 an hour sitting in front of a computer playing a game and setting their own hours.

I would also add the fact that you can make a ton of money playing poker only working 3-4 hours a day means you should take advantage of all the free time you get.