Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 09:57 AM

Default $2R WSOP Satellite - BB play on bubble

I believe I can fold into the money here, so preflop I'm not putting any more money into the pot with this hand. I would probably even have folded if UTG had raised, since I didn't need to play. Tourney ended in 4 more hands, so I wouldn't have even seen another BB.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t6000 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP3 (t8398)
CO (t5337)
Button (t11610)
SB (t39223)
Hero (t18544)
UTG (t11070)
UTG+1 (t9691)
MP1 (t30740)
MP2 (t7312)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t6000, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t14400) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t4770 (All-In)</font>, Hero ???

UTG may have thought he needed to play here, but he probably could have squeeked past the bubble by folding, as long as no one else attacked his blinds. Blinds are 3K/6K with 300 ante, and going up next hand to 4K/8K w/ 400 ante. With the stalling, it goes up every other hand.

I couldn't figure out what he had, and obviously the flop hit me in the face. Only a set is ahead of me, and I have outs if he hits his draw. I could probably fold into the money even now, but I had a strong enough hand that I expected to be way ahead of whatever range he was limping with. Even if I lost, I have 7K and could probably still fold into the money, since I'll only have the small blind and then antes.

Should I let him have this? Or take advantage of the big blind special, and take him out?

Kindling
Old 03-08-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: $2R WSOP Satellite - BB play on bubble

This ALL depends on "probably fold into the money" - if it's like 99% you make the seat, fold. No reason to gabool if the money(seat)is pretty locked up. With that said I have seen the bubble last a lot longer than you would think it would, with short stacks getting lucky and hitting the flop - these blind levels can save a short stack who hits a flop. You are most likely ahead as I think he does this 100% of the time you check. Looks like a big pair (like AA) to me, I have no idea why he would limp UTG here (but it is a $2, so who knows). If there is any doubt you will make the seat call, otherwise fold.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: $2R WSOP Satellite - BB play on bubble

I called, and he showed ... &gt;&gt;&gt; <font color="white"> 56o for bottom pair. </font> &lt;&lt;&lt;

So I would have thought he should have pushed or folded, but not limped. This is a $2R, and I've been seeing some strange play. I try to stay out of the way of anyone who doesn't seem to understand the bubble, but this was too good of a situation.