Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Great Photos of All Time

[ QUOTE ]
My father's wake sounded like a raucous party. The family from the funeral parlor's other viewing room kept sticking their heads in, wondering what all the noise was. As my mother explained to them, "We cry at the weddings, and laugh at the funerals."

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you Irish, too? My grandmothers wake got complaints from the neighbors as well.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:15 AM

Best thread I've seen all year anywhere, amazing stuff.

This seems like an appropriate place to ask, as you obviously know a good piccy when you see one, what is the best single shot of the Las Vegas strip?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:27 AM

Prospectors climbing Chilkoot Pass to get to the Alaska gold fields.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:22 PM

I knew this photographer when i was a kid, and recently browsed his website after I found out he was nominated for a pulitzer for this pic. I really found his portfolio to be moving, but then I might be biased just knowing the guy (he was one of my good friend's older brother in Junior High)

This was taken during the fighting in Liberia in 2003. two other good ones from the liberia section of chrishondrosphotography.com

for sheer beauty, I love "the soul of a horse" by some german photog

there's a great photo of a statue being pulled down in red square, but I can't find it. They are already covered in this thread, but I think the most important photos are all astronomy related. earthrise, hubble ultra deep field, pale blue dot, and the blue marble
Old 03-08-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is just me, or is the photographer a bit of a vulture himself....I know someone will tell me that he is just doing his job, and that sharing this picture will help the world see hunger, but it still rubs me wrong..

[/ QUOTE ]

He was told not to touch anyone for fear of disease. And using your logic, aren't we all vultures for having seen this picture and not helped in some way?

Also, another cool pic:

Congressman Albert Thomas winking at LBJ just moments after JFK had been shot and killed. Jackie is still crying.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he really was winking, I would [censored] kill that piece of [censored] if I was a relative to JFK. Or a friend. Omfg. I can't believe he would do that. What a [censored] douche. Everytime I look at that pic I feel such hate. wtf man.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easy to interpret this as a "He's dead, now's your time LBJ!" kind of wink, but that's not entirely clear. The VP's prez is shot, he's thrust into power through violence, and probably incredibly nervous. A wink could mean "don't worry, you've got this, you can handle it" etc etc etc. I can't say either way, but it's easy to assume he's just a heartless prick when that may not be the full story.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is just me, or is the photographer a bit of a vulture himself....I know someone will tell me that he is just doing his job, and that sharing this picture will help the world see hunger, but it still rubs me wrong..

[/ QUOTE ]

He was told not to touch anyone for fear of disease. And using your logic, aren't we all vultures for having seen this picture and not helped in some way?

Also, another cool pic:

Congressman Albert Thomas winking at LBJ just moments after JFK had been shot and killed. Jackie is still crying.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he really was winking, I would [censored] kill that piece of [censored] if I was a relative to JFK. Or a friend. Omfg. I can't believe he would do that. What a [censored] douche. Everytime I look at that pic I feel such hate. wtf man.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easy to interpret this as a "He's dead, now's your time LBJ!" kind of wink, but that's not entirely clear. The VP's prez is shot, he's thrust into power through violence, and probably incredibly nervous. A wink could mean "don't worry, you've got this, you can handle it" etc etc etc. I can't say either way, but it's easy to assume he's just a heartless prick when that may not be the full story.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-08-2007, 03:50 PM

Old 03-08-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, another cool pic:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, obv you can't anticipate the president being assassinated, so to me LBJ would obv have to be very nervous, and maybe he was just showing his support? At first I got really pissed of but then I put myself in the congressman's shoes and if my friend was just suddenly shoved into the most powerful position in the United States (probably the world) they would obv be nervous and I would offer them a wink if I felt it would help him.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This photo is incredibly sad. It's a vulture waiting for a starving Sudanese child to die so it can eat it. The child is crawling towards a feeding center. The photographer chased off the vulture before leaving. He later became incredibly depressed and committed suicide.

[/ QUOTE ]

He also waited there for a quite a time to see if the vulture would spread its wings (for a better pic).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not like there is only one starving kid. What is he supposed to do, put down his camera and help them all?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you can look at that kid and not feel enough sympathy to save him, then you deserve to kill yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

come on man.. how can you say something like this? i think it just shows you're not capable of rational thought in this kind of situation, you're just going to let your emotions do the talking. how can you save the kid? he's gone man. and why not save all like him? why not just quit your job right now and go to africa and save everyone you can?

[/ QUOTE ]

The child is a girl, and he did take her to the feeding center after taking the picture.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you sure, everything I've read says he didn't. He was told not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

"He [Kevin Carter, the photographer] later confided to friends that he wished he had intervened and helped the child. Journalists at the time were supposedly warned never to touch famine victims for fear of disease. This criticism and the death of a close friend, Ken Oosterbroek, who was accidentally shot and killed in Tokoza on April 18, 1994 while covering township violence, may have contributed to Carter's tragic suicide."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Carter
Old 03-12-2007, 03:21 PM

I can't believe I haven't seen this one here yet.

This is a clearly doctored photo of lee harvey oswald (look at the shadow off of his nose and the shadow of his body,his head is clearly superimposed on someone else's body) that is the most glaring error in the photo but there are others that I can't remember right now

My friend owns a copy of this actual magazine.