Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 05:26 AM

Default Adjusting to shorthanded games

Hi, i just started a month ago.

I'm reading small stakes hold em at the moment, but the problem i have, is that the advice given is only for long-handed games and the only thing so far(i'm halfway through) said about shorthand, is to imagine that the first few players have folded.

I think there's probably more to it though and i would like to be sure i don't apply the concepts of the book in a wrong way(especially in using the startinghand selection as a guide).

So what are the differences and adjustments one needs to make, especially concerning the book.

Thx for any advice, especially by people who read the book.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Adjusting to shorthanded games

I think the biggest adjustment is to get used to playing pots a lot smaller. The aggressive play in SSSH is most often geared towards playing in bigger pots. That doesn't mean you should go totally passive just remember that the key is balanced aggression (although milesdyson posts paint another picture [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). I also want to add that a lot of stuff in SSHE is still applicable to SH games, you just have to learn when which pinciples apply, which btw is not easy IMO.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Adjusting to shorthanded games

Blind defense is pretty important especially the higher up you play. Spend some time reading the great threads in the sticky.

Stoxtrader also has a book coming out next month which deals directly with tough short handed limit games so that might be something you'd wanna look at. As I mentioned, it's for tougher games so get some hands under your belt and make sure you read those threads.