Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Running Cold in Downswing

I’m having my first >150 BB downswing. (Well, first since joining 2p2 and studying decent books.) I’ve read enough here to know it was inevitable, I should just suck it up, and hope it doesn’t hit -300BB. But what I haven’t seen is specific comments on running cold. I’m a recreational player who’s moved up slowly from 0.25/0.50 LHE through 0.5/1 to a lot of profitable 1/2 LHE. I was just sticking my toes into 2/4 and had a few good sessions when the downswing hit. I started losing a lot and, thought I’d simply exceeded my skill level and run into much better players. So I dropped back to 1/2, where I kept losing. There were the usual suckouts and bad beats I’ve seen before, but the most frustrating part is I’ve been running horribly cold. Normally my 6-max stats are a TAGish 28/15 but for the past ten days have been down to 15/1.9. I’ve looked at the hand histories and I’m not folding playable hands, my cards just stink. With all the folding, folding, folding I got frustrated, went on tilt and played hands I normally wouldn’t, which led to stil more losses. I’ve dropped to 0.5/1 to slow the hemorrhaging. How long can this go on? I can deal with bad beats and suckouts, but this running cold is driving me nuts. How do you deal with it?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Running Cold in Downswing

its very hard to beat the rake at the limits that you are playing. Also, your opponents probably never fold are not not attentive enough to realize how tight you are playing. You are just going to have to get some cards and have them hold up. I would suggest having an adequate BR (600 BB) and going back to the 2-4. Surely the 2-4 players cant be any better than the 1-2. Downswings happen. Just dont tilt and create a 300 bb downswing when you are due for a 200 bb swing.
V
Old 03-02-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started losing a lot and, thought I’d simply exceeded my skill level and run into much better players.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be able to recognize good players on your table regardless of how you're running. If you're unable to do this yet, move down.

b
Old 03-02-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I’m having my first >150 BB downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But what I haven’t seen is specific comments on running cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't quote explain the 150BB downswing.

[ QUOTE ]
With all the folding, folding, folding I got frustrated, went on tilt and played hands I normally wouldn’t, which led to stil more losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go.

Stop playing bad and the downswing stops. When people tell me about continous beats, it is almost always they need to work on their hand reading.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:46 AM

Focus on what you are doing. When I get hit with a dry spell, I try to delude myself into thinking that I'm happy to fold 150 hands in a row. When I've clearly been drawn out on, again, i try to fold even though I'm pissed at the Poker Gods. Remember, the cards will swing back, and your overall win rate is the sum of how you play when the cards are bad and good. In fact, playins solid when the cards are falling your way is easy. Saving bets and stealing little pots when there not is a higher skill.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:44 AM

In almost 1 million hands over 6 years, I've had 3 or 4 250 to 300 BB losing runs. There are some keys to surviving it.

1. Don't tilt! I know it is easier said than done, but sometimes you just have to "sit the game" and be patient. The platitudes about it all being 1 long session are true. Tilt can turn a bad run into a catastrophy.

2. Protect your bankroll. You should be at the paint where your bankroll is separate from your life money. It may be a bit weak tight, but when I'm really running bad, I don't try to really push small advantages as I normally would.

3. Realize it is real money. In order to gamble you must have a certain disrespect for money. There are also times when you must realize it is real money. The $400 I just blasted off, would have paid for the new exhaust I had put on my van etc.

4. Take this oppertunity to examine your game for other leaks. We all have leaks find them and plug what you can.

5. Mix it up a bit. Play some stud or Omaha(Don't go crazy if it isn't your best game, but variety sometimes helps). Or, play some tourneys or cash games if you are into S&G's.

In every one of the big downswings I've experienced, I've eventually gotten it all back, but it takes time. In a couple of those instances a couple of months. It is a very nice feeling when you look back and realize you dug yourself out of the hole by doing good solid work at the table.

Good luck,

Fitz
Old 03-08-2007, 02:52 AM

One thing that might help: play poker not stats. Quit looking at your stats and evaluating, evaluate more of your mood, attitude, etc becuase that is what causes a downswing to get longer and larger. Cold cards happen, but usually it sends you into a downward depressive spiral, and that is where you lose more money. Play other games, play lower, and play happy. Shut off poker tracker and play poker like the olden days.