Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Business degrees

SoloAJ,

You have no clue what you are talking about. He could graduate from Harvard with a PhD in theoretical math and no decent MBA will take him.

T50,

Interesting. That is pretty haggard. We had some fairly complex math relationships in my program and assumed that full econ programs would be more difficult. I do go to a small liberal arts school though.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:34 PM

Well [censored], I was deciding between majoring in econ or finance... but I guess I'll go into finance. I was leaning towards Finance anyways since, I believe (I haven't had any counseling or anything), it's more math-oriented.

Now I'm breezing by school too fast. What's a good minor to accompany a finance degree? Maybe even double major since a lot of the other business degrees only require ~12 units more? I'd like to hear some opinions. I think I need to declare this month.... I wish my school would be like my mother and inform me of this [censored].
Old 03-07-2007, 06:36 PM

Acct.

You'll likely be very close to the requirements for it already.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Acct.

You'll likely be very close to the requirements for it already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Double major?

I'm ahead in school, so I don't mind spending an extra semester or two. I just want to make sure it's worth it.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bb88,

Worthless there. Not one worth going to will accept you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to the "general" business degree? Didn't know those existed, but what are the top 5 or so degrees you'd list for getting into a MBA program at a top school?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:08 PM

A general management degree. Major in Business Management without a concentration. I'm also looking into applying for a doctorate right out of college.

Why would no decent MBA take me? I'm also willing to take an acception on the basis I work a couple years before attending. I was under the impression with a killer GPA, a killer GMAT score, and a couple years experience, I would be able to get into a nice MBA program (specifically Wharton, I have talked to my advisor about this).

Edit: And I already "know" of a couple MBA programs around me that aren't terrible (about average I'd said) that would take me, as I talked to the Gradudate offices and have been told I'd have no problems getting in. I'm more interested in the job market for an MBA than getting in, as I WILL be able to pursue one at a school right out of college if I choose.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:21 PM

bb88.

If you mean in several years, then it is diff. A GMAT gets you in no where, but will get you rejected. A good GPA is a must, but your work exp is what gets you in. GL getting into Wharton.

And I'm saying any MBA you get without work exp will likely be completely worthless.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:58 PM

Thremp,

Thanks for reiterating something I previously implied or stated, I have no clue.

Regardless, I'm not sure how the rest of your reply addressed what I said. I was trying to say that if you want to get an MBA you should be in a major and excel in a way that will set you up to get an MBA. How does a PhD in theoretical math associate with that?
Old 03-07-2007, 08:34 PM

Thremp is right. If you want a good MBA, you have to work for a couple years before you get it. You'll find that out very quickly if you look at recruiting pages for prestigous schools.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:07 PM

Disclaimer: I only got through the first 10 responses before I broke out laughing and decided to post. This post is in regards to those saying a business degree is a joke. Also my business school was recently ranked second in the country, so this may not apply to everyone.

A Business Degree at my school is the most respected and hardest to earn. While I'm constantly forced to stay up till 2 in the morning to complete projects or study for tests, other majors are watching scrubs and going to bars. While this is frusterating for me at times, I recently was asked to interview for 9 different companies - most of my friends with other majors were asked to 1 or 2. The companies I interviewed with include: JP Morgan, Citigroup, Merrill Lynch, PWC, Ernst & Young, KPMG and Bank of America. These are all huge companies that offer the most competitive salaries and opportunities. They did not interview many kids without business degress (although top economic students did recieve interviews). The bottom line is, unless you are going to grad school, good luck getting a job in finance or accounting without a business degree. Oh yeah.. and it just so happens the easiest way to get rich is to take a job in either discipline.