Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Traveling to Italy

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that scares the heck out of me, but I'm assuming the countryside driving isn't as bad, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, it's easy but the roads are pretty [censored] narrow at some locations.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spend one day at most in Rome. You will seriously be in awe at how rude the Romans are to outsiders. People everywhere outside of Rome are very friendly in general though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is awful advice. Rome is beautiful and you need AT LEAST three days to see everything.

The Romans are also very friendly if you get to actually talking to them.

I can tell you're a douchebag, especially based on that avatar of your's.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:56 PM

Florence is must must-do, probably the best or 2nd best city in Europe to go visit, hang out in, do touristy things, eat, etc. Budget at least a few days for David, Uffizi, and the like.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:03 PM

Rome - you should plan at least 2-3 days and a large part or full day for Vatican, Vatican museums, StPeter's, try to schedule visit to Vatican Gardens. Sistine Chapel and the Pieta are indescribably awesome.
A personal fave is the Borghese Gallery, great unbelievable sculptures there and some great Caravaggio's.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A few people have mentioned driving. Sounds like it's a feasible option? I think my wife is a little concerned about renting a car and driving in a foreign country, but I'd love to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's no big deal -- not much different from renting a car in the US.

On the freeways (autostradas) and back roads, driving is no problem. Like the Wolf, Italians drive real [censored] fast, but not overly reckless. In the US, the fastest cars on the freeway are squirrelly, weaving in and out of lanes and passing wherever they can. From my experience, Italians NEVER pass on the right. They may flash their lights, honk, and ride your ass until you get out of the way, but they will never pass you on the right.

I can't comment on driving in the bigger cities, but the advice I was given before we went to Italy was to park outside of the cities and take the train in. Probably a good hint that driving in cities would suck.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:41 PM

My wife and I were in Florence in June. Gustavino(Via della Condotta) served our best meal ever. See David by reserving tixs online. Hotel Balestri is a small hotel right on the Arno and ask for top floor, front corner, closest to the river with it's view of the Ponte Veccihhio. $$ is reasonable.

MS Sunshine
Old 03-07-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just wait till adsman drops in on this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, actually I don't have too much to add. Verona has been left out so far, and it's one of my favourite cities. Italy is all about exploring. Don't plan it down to the last detail, just have a general idea and go with it. A friend of mine had a great trip by buying a rail pass and just getting off the train whenever it suited him. Obviously you can't do this in the high season or you'll never have a room.

Come up to Trentino and drop in to my club if you want. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Spend one day at most in Rome. You will seriously be in awe at how rude the Romans are to outsiders. People everywhere outside of Rome are very friendly in general though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is awful advice. Rome is beautiful and you need AT LEAST three days to see everything.

The Romans are also very friendly if you get to actually talking to them.

I can tell you're a douchebag, especially based on that avatar of your's.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahaha... ok dude. I'm guessing that all the Romans that were friendly to you were probably trying to sell you something. You seem like the type that probably buys something from every vendor who chats you up because you feel the need to be nice to them. Talk to anybody who's actually seen Rome apart from the the Coliseum and the Spanish Steps and they'll tell you the same thing I did.

p.s. the word is "yours"
Old 03-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Suggestions on hostels to stay in for Florence and Rome.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:23 PM

I don't see how someone could discount Rome like this. Sure it's a big city. Sure it's dirty and the people may not be the friendliest in the world. But we're talking about a city with 1000s of years of history with LOTS to see and do. Going to Italy without spending at least a few days in Rome seems pretty silly to me.