Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 12:48 AM

Default I need help playing with a big stack late

My fellow poker players: I seem to have a problem. In most of the events I am in online, I play tight and agressive in the early levels. This style has been good to me and I usually pick up a lot of chips. Its not uncommon for me to find myself in the top ten in chips in the middle of a tournament. Even the nightly tournaments with buy ins of 100 or greater, this is the case. Not as often, but I usually get chips. Then as we get down to like 25% to 10% of the field...I feel something is going wrong with my game. Whether it be bluffing too much, raising/playing too many hands preflop or something I cant think of, it happens a majority of the time. Just a minute ago, I was 3rd in chips with 55 left in the $30 rebuy 15k on UB. I got put out in 50th. Can anyone maybe give me some good information? Does this happen to you? If so, what works best against this? Thanks in advance. I have read a lot of educational stuff on here. Good luck all.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 AM

Default Re: I need help playing with a big stack late

Alot of people get into the mindset that you have to play differently with a big stack. I dont think thats true. Just play your normal game. The main difference between having a big stack as opposed to being short is there are alot more options available. So naturally you should be playing more hands than if you have a short stack. However, there really is no need to make plays you normally dont make just because you are a big stack.

Its important not to go into protect mode or anything like that. But if your not comfotable in certain spots dont feel the need to bluff super often just because you have a big stack.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:24 AM

I recently came to the conclusion that most online players are bad, and why should I mix it up with them when i have marginal hands and a large stack when I can sit back and pcik off the shorties with relative ease by just playing a tight agressive game and occasionally stealing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2007, 08:58 AM

i agree with Mcot
just sit back keep playing tight keep your stack growing
the only thing that changes now is that you call a all in from a shortstacked BB guy who isnt all that tight
further more just keep up what your doing
Old 03-07-2007, 09:36 AM

It might not be one specific problem, possibly a range of things.
The best way to learn is to post hands you are having difficulty with on this forum.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently came to the conclusion that most online players are bad...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a live tourney player at a decent level - and that statement is highly misleading. The best players in the world (cash and tourney) are on the internet.

But because of the sheer volume of players in online tourneys on sites like stars for example, you will come across many awful players aswell (whether they be too tight, too loose, too stupid) - particularly at the smaller buy in levels.

To the OP, it simply sounds as if you are pushing too hard. Next time you get a stack, self conciously slow down and tighten up. Not saying that you should go into lock - up as a general style, but just see what difference it makes to your result if you deliberately slow down next time you have a big stack as you approach the bubble. Then work from that back towards an optimal balance between pushing for more chips and stack maintenance.

Remember that you do not need to win every pot, steal every blind - resteal at every opportunity. It is ok to float on 2 / 3x the average for a while and wait for the right spot to wield your chips.

Good luck.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:33 PM

It looks like you may have self diagnosed one of your problems which is bluffing and making big plays in the wrong situations. I have a couple suggestions, #1 will help identify if this is a problem, #2 is what I do to to conserve my stack if I am fortunate enough to accumulate.

1. look back through the hands that crippled your stack. before you analyze or post, look at how many chips the villains played over the last 20+ hands as well if you can't remember exactly what they were up to.

2. pay close attention to what the other players are doing. It sounds like you move a lot of chips and make some big plays in this situation, which could lead to disaster against the wrong opponents.

For example, if a mid stack who is playing scared suddenly wakes up and starts moving some chips, get out of the way. If you find yourself making plays when a scared player shows strength, you're headed for a disaster.

With no reads (like if you get moved), then take care of your chips and work hard to get a read so you can make big plays with more confidence. Watch everyone closely, and read the hh's whenever cards are shown, or interesting bets happen.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:25 PM

go back in your HH and post some of the turning point hands that either got you knocked out, or crippled your stack.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I recently came to the conclusion that most online players are bad...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a live tourney player at a decent level - and that statement is highly misleading. The best players in the world (cash and tourney) are on the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misread his statement. Which is a correct statement.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:03 PM

Try to play small pots with a big stack at late stages. I play my big hands straightforward and look for stealing opportunities when I can. Don't think you have to pull off any audacious bluffs just because you have a large chipstack.