Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: tell us what you do El D ripoff thread

I chop up cuban hookers and bury them in random places around town.

LDO I like it.

How much can I make: What I finds, I keeps
Old 03-07-2007, 01:07 PM

What do you do?

Business Systems Analyst / Developer for an insurace third party adminstrator

Do you like it?

It pays the bills and gets me much needed experience

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work?

I'm really technical, but can translate into lamens terms. I'm a fast learner, really analytical, and can explain my thought processes clearly and concisely.

What kind of people do best in your work?

People who don't get stressed out easily

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you?

BA/BS in Math/CS/Business or previous work in the insurance industry. Strong analytical skills.

What is a typical day like?

Spend a lot of time in my cube in front of my computer. Create spec documents, program, post on 2+2, create development timelines, gather requirements

What kind of problems do you encounter? What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation?

Work overtime w/ no compensation... lame.

How much do you make?

How much can one expect to make in your position?

You top off around 60-70k, but I don't plan on being in this position for that long.

How old are you and what is your education level (from what school)? How long have you been in the workforce?

I just turned 24 and graduated w/ a BA (double major) in Math and CS from Macalester College. I've been working since I was 16, graduated from Mac in May '05 began working here a week later.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:07 PM

What do you do?

CNC Programmer for TriStar Racing.. we make aftermarket parts for dirt bikes..

Do you like it? 90% of the time..

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? I'm mechanically inclined and have been active in the motorsports community for over 10 years.. I'm driven and almost completely self taught.. I just recently decided to return to college to pursue a degree in Mechanical Engineering..

What kind of people do best in your work? I can't say I've ever met anyone else who makes the same product that I do.. But other programmers I met are smart and pay attn to every detail.. They are like a machine themselves where everything is a system..

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? Most people are either college grads or have worked there way up from being machine operators etc..

What is a typical day like? I come in, figure out what project is next, Warm up the machines. shoot the [censored] with erik (coworker).. do some work.. etc.. pretty uneventful..

What kind of problems do you encounter? last minute orders for Supercross or Motocross race teams are a pain in the ass.. everything is custom and it has to be done usually same day..

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? Frutration when my boss takes an order for a custom part for way less than its going to cost us to make it.. he is an idiot..

How much do you make? I'm so underpaid its not even funny..

How much can one expect to make in your position? Varies greatly.

Age 25

Education High School Diploma, Some College

How long in work force I've been in this line of work for 3+ years now.. but I've been working all sorts of jobs since I was in HS..

back to work!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:20 PM

b]What do you do?[/b]
Project Manager for a small Telecom Construction Company

Do you like it?
Sometimes.

I've been in the industry since I was 17 so I know it in and out.

Organized, efficient, level-headed people do alright.

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you?
Most people have a degree in engineering/business, work experience can be a substitute for this.

Varies on what projects I'm working on...usually pretty quiet unless someone else doesn't do his job.

What kind of problems do you encounter?
Installation crews making mistakes, impossible to please customers with impossible deadlines.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation?
It's really pretty boring.

How much do you make?
low 6 figures

75-150k per year

Education
Almost done with my undergrad degree in Finance
How long in work force 10 years
Old 03-07-2007, 01:38 PM

What do you do?

Attorney for a US federal agency.

Do you like it?

90% of the time I think I have the best law-related job in the world, the other 10% of the time I feel totally overworked and undervalued.

I am a quick learner which is important for investigative purposes because I have to shift from industry to industry on different investigations. This helps me get up the learning curve very quickly. I also have a good memory, which I find helpful. I'm not particularly detail-oriented, which is a huge drawback because some of the little stuff goes by the wayside at times.

Detail-oriented people who like being lawyers but don't want to be in court very much and like doing fact investigation (which I love).

None explicit other than a JD, but training in economics would be a plus and would help you get hired.

Get into work at about 8-8:30. Get some soda and read the news headlines, surf 2+2. Depending on what investigation I'm working on, the rest of the day will be spent in interviews, reading documents, or surfing 2+2 more. Out usually at 5:30 but lately that has been later and I've been doing work at home at night.

Tight statutory deadlines to finish stuff. Biglaw lawyers who try and do as little as possible and have no concept of our deadlines and no respect for our compulsory authority.

Frustration - Working for a partisan branch of the government who doesn't view things the way I do at times. Former firm lawyers who transfer over to government work in not-so-veiled attempt to coast and do nothing for the rest of their lives. Also the diversity where I work is laughable and upsets me.

Elation - Everything else about government work.

How much do you make?

about 80k.

whatever the top of the GS-15 pay scale is, now currently in the 120kish range.

Education

J.D. from the University of Iowa.

How long in work force

About two years.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:43 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

What do you do?

General Contractor. I build custom homes, sometimes take on other projects if they interest me.

Do you like it?

Yes, most of the time.

I'm a good self-motivator. I'm fairly innovative which can be both good and bad, some of my ideas have been home runs, some have been rather expensive mistakes like the time I thought I could produce concrete countertops just like a professional.

At my core I'm a people pleaser. I need my customers to be enthusiastically happy with what they are buying. This sometimes costs me money, but for the most part it just forces me to communicate well with my customers

Like I indicated earlier, self-motivators. Just like poker, it's real easy to not work. You need excellent communication skills. A balance between perfectionism and pragmatism helps, although there are a lot of contractors that are heavily one or the other.

Construction experience is pretty much required. I worked as a siding and framing contractor for 4 years before I started building and when I started building I had a mentor who helped me out greatly.

Strong credit is a must. You have to get banks to loan you millions of dollars and it's rather easy for a builder to go bust.

You have to have the bank roll. I don't think it can be done without at least a six figure roll. If your area is hot and nothing bad happens, you can do it for less, but you're risk of ruin is high.

Phone calls start rolling in about 7:30, although I had one at 6:20 this morning. I usually roll out of the house by 9:30. I check job sites and answer any questions my subs or employees have and make phone calls as I'm driving. After that I usually head home and get back around 1. My day is usually done unless I have a meeting (many weeks I might have one meeting, some weeks I ahve a dozen). Today I was back home at 11. I'll take phone calls the rest of the day. When I get home I usually browse 2+2 and other sites. Fix lunch and take a nap if I feel like it. Every Friday afternoon I catch a movie.

Some days I do an afternoon poker session, some days I wait until evening. When I'm running bad I'll usually spend the afternoon reviewing PT and watching poker videos.

Tight dead lines. Freaked out customers. Late or missing subs. Work quality issues. The biggest issue is finding innovative solutions. Unique problems come up constantly and it's up to me to come up with the best solution.

It feels really awesome to turn over the keys to a finished dream house. You've been in the process with these people for close to a year and all that work has come to together into something they are excited about and love.

It's tough when no happy solution can be found. I had that come up for the first time recently and it was tough. The issue was mostly a misunderstanding/miscommunication and it was impossible to fulfill their expectations. I offered to take the house back and they countered asking for money. I wasn't real comfortable with that, but did it figuring the good will and word of mouth advertising was worth the price.

The worst is when you build spec homes and they don't sell. in 2005 I went through a long spell with a bunch of houses sitting. I didn't have the credit line to build anything else nor did I want to extend myself any further. Each month I was having to come up with $1200 per house to pay interest, utilities and taxes. Try doing that for a year. It sucked.

How much do you make?

I make a decent living although I put most of the money back into the company. I've thought of giving it up to play poker and travel, but it's tough to take that leap. I have it really good and if poker is no longer in the picture I have this.

It's a wide range. Most guys are into six figures and cost of living here is low. Some guys just scrape by. It's not terribly difficult to get into the mid six figures if you build enough houses. I bet there are a dozen builders in the area making this kind of money and a hand full that are at a million plus.

On the flip side, every year a hand full go bankrupt. Last year one of the big boys, they sort of guy you thought was making the million plus went under.

Age 36

Education

Philosophy degree. Been thinking about a MBA with a future goal of doing consulting.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:55 PM

What do you do?

Investment analyst on the fund management side of banking - covering transportation, pharma/healthcare & Japan

Do you like it?

Its pretty [censored] cool.

My job involves researching companies (listening to the market, meeting with companies etc) and forming an opinion delivered in report form - I then have to make a recommendation involving millions of dollars and stick with it. Im pretty arrogant, have excellent grammatical skillz (regardless of my 2+2 contributions) and have an inate ability to stick to my guns.

You have to be able to for an opinion and then prove to someone more senior that your opinion is the most profitable - and then have the stomach to experience the ups and downs.

I would say that the barriers to entry require at least a degreee of some sort - There is the possibility of getting in on the ground floor and working your way up, but you really can just get lost in the system. I would suggest joining a graduate scheme which really can be an excellent platform for developing your career in banking.

In short - pretty long: Start at 7.30am, lunch at desk, leave at 7.30pm.

The day will involve analyst calls/visits, management meetings & research.

Beta.

Frustration - loosing more money than the benchmark.

Elation - making more money than the benchmark.

(yes we are that shallow)

How much do you make?

I joined in August 2005 (graduated June 2005) - I make £60,000 + 75% bonus (so about $200k - but we pay a [censored] of taxes...)

A boat load. Seriously.

Age 23

Education: Honours Degree, Management

How long in work force: Since August 2005 to present

Edited to try and make bold, but I am too stupid and should be getting on with work...
Old 03-07-2007, 02:07 PM

What do you do? im currently taking a year and a half off before med school because i graduated college a semester early and took a 50% tuition scholarship to med shcool in exchange for waiting a year because they overbooked.

Do you like it? love it

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? i made good grades and did well on the MCAT

What kind of people do best in your work? people who really really want to be a doctor and have an insane work ethic

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? see above + must do well on little to no sleep

What is a typical day like? well now a typical day is like wake up whenever, pay obligatory attention to fiance till she shuts up, look at 2p2 for a bit, play a few thousand hands, some nights go out and some nights dont.

What kind of problems do you encounter? boredom mostly,

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? frustration: thinking about the next 15 months with nothing to do. elation: see frustration

How much do you make?
poker monies, more than 99.9% of others taking a year off before med school

How much can one expect to make in your position? the 50% scholarship is worth $76000 so i guess that much + whatever i make at poker.

Age 21

Education BS in cell and molecular biology

How long in work force 3 months into the 1.5 years
Old 03-07-2007, 02:08 PM

This is a good thread. I'm a student and it sort of makes me want to get high grades to hear about these guys making 100k+ at 25-28. Sort of.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:15 PM

futuredoc,

I know that you went to Auburn (or at least I think I do) from another thread. Do you mind telling what med school gave you that tuition option? Was it UAB?