Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Which Book Should I Write Next?

-J
Old 03-07-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually thought people would choose TOP for beginners.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have zero interest in that choice, although I believe it would probably be the most profitable. For the audience here, I suspect "50 hands" would be the best-seller, but world-wide, "TOP for beginners" is going to be more popular. But why would I want you to write it? I spent a long time reading, re-reading, and re-re-reading the original TOP and understanding its concepts. I don't want any Joe on the street to be able to get a Cliff's Notes version. OTOH, as another poster pointed out, a lot of the 2+2ers are now thinking about their future and their children, and the algebra book would be a boon there. If, in fact, you are the world's greatest algebra teacher, that is. You've said it enough times on these boards that I mostly want to see the book out of shere curiosity.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:58 AM

write an autobiography man...
Old 03-07-2007, 12:10 PM

u should write a book about how your a pervert.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:23 PM

As many have pointed out, the Algebra book would be the best choice.
I don't know if 2+2 could get into the market of selling something like that (since 2+2 is about poker), but if you really have that ability, the algebra book would be excellent.

I tutor for calculus classes in a university, and what stops people is algebra. Differentiating is easy, but they can't do the algebra and it is really hard to explain. It is interesting that tutoring calculus transforms into being an algebra coach. A good book would be helpful all around.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
u should write a book about how your a pervert.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE FOR TEN YEAR OLDS (And those who think like them.) ????
Old 03-07-2007, 01:41 PM

If I were in DS's shoes, I'd write Algebra for 10 year olds (and those who think like them). *TT* had a valuable point that you might want to get some sort of agreement with a textbook publisher beforehand though. I'd see this book as a contribution to the betterment of mankind, if it can do what you say it can.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm torn between four choices:

WHAT POKER TEACHES US

The idea would be to relate poker concepts to real world situations. Don't go on tilt, put yourself in other's heads, evaluate risk vs reward etc. etc. Besides being a good self help book for poker players and non players alike, the book could be used as a means to demonstrate some reasons why playing and learning poker should not be discouraged by the government.

ALGEBRA FOR TEN YEAR OLDS (And those who think like them).

I am close to being the best Algebra teacher in the world. Trust me on this. The reason probably stems from the fact that my father taught me the subject when I was seven. So even though I turned out to be talented at math, my brain remembers what it was like to struggle with the subject as well as the techniques my father used to overcome hurdles. All Algebra books that I have seen, after an initial easy portion, go on to teach later portions with the assumption that the begining stuff was mastered. Both the techniques and the nomenclature. My book wouldn't do that even though it is "undignified". But it would get mathematically untalented people through their first year algebra class, in a way that nothing else ever has. (The book would probably also contain some basic probability.)

50 POKER HANDS THAT REALLY TEACH YOU SOMETHING

When poker authors throw out sample hands to evaluate, they often pick hands that they have seen or played or hands that have tricky answers as to the best play. Answers that usually are debatable. While it is always helpful to analyze the pros and cons of playing a hand a certain way, I believe it is not in the best interest of the student to be studying hands where the answer is debatable. Of course it is not easy to come up with situations where the best play is not self evident while at the same time a full analysis pretty much leads to one answer. But I can do that.

A SIMPLE GUIDE TO "THE THEORY OF POKER"

Just as I can teach Algebra to beginners in a simple manner, so too can I teach the somewhat complex principles of the Theory of Poker. In the past there would have been little demand for a simplified version of my book because it was rare that beginning players would have had an interest. Nowadays that isn't true given poker's emergence on the world stage. Thus there would be a far greater audience for a "cliff notes" version of TOP. Throw in also those many NON beginners whose academic credentials are such that they would appreciate an easier version before tackling the real thing.

So which book should I write? Put on your unselfish hat and don't necessarily think about what would be best for you. Rather think about what would be best for the world. And what would make me and Mason the most money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we like longer titles to books. So...

"50 Poker Hands for no limit hold'em tournament players (only) who have given up on cash games because no amount of intruction or experience can force them to enjoy playing cash games, and none ever will."

For short: 50PH4NLHETP(O)WHGUOCGBNAOIOECFT2EPCGANEW
Old 03-07-2007, 01:47 PM

I like this one:

50 POKER HANDS THAT REALLY TEACH YOU SOMETHING
Old 03-07-2007, 03:18 PM

For many years I thought that a companion to TOP would be a fantastic book. Chapter by chapter hand examples from currently popular games that demonstrate the relevance of the thought process from each chapter. I have always felt that TOP took a whole lot of homework and experience to really put you over the top. Spoon fed examples would be the nuts.

That said, probably not fair to us who really try to do the work on our own by trying to apply theoretical concepts to live situations. So of course I am somewhat biased against it.

The fifty hands book would sell like hotcackes.

the Algebra book would do the most for the common good and probably not make you any money.

The Example driven update to TOP (Not dumbed down, just illustrated differently) would be a seminal work for a lot of reasons.

How about starting a web poker "college" ala the University of Phoenix. With lectures, textbooks, tests etc. Electives like triple draw and badugi. Term paper requirements and the whole lot. I bet you could make some money from high tuitions.