Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 10:21 PM

Default new espn article

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker/col...mp;lid=tab6pos2
Old 03-07-2007, 12:59 AM

Default Re: new espn article

I like the huge amount of sarcasm from espn's writer here but none the less this is good news that the PPA and poker is reaching a bigger audience. He even at the end agrees that having senator D'Amato helps the PPA's cause and gives them more of a realistic shot. Take it FWIW.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:05 PM

Article aptly demonstrates how dismissive many non-poker players are about the whole issue. And that Kreidler found D'Amato an easy target.

BTW, Negreanu has a response to Kreidler.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Article aptly demonstrates how dismissive many non-poker players are about the whole issue. And that Kreidler found D'Amato an easy target.

BTW, Negreanu has a response to Kreidler.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daniel makes a lot of good points in his blog. The article's author comes off as smug, arrogant and completely clueless wrt to the popularity of poker.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:59 PM

Wow, did Kreidler gamble away his kid's tuition on Party or what? Where is the super-hate coming from? Never read his stuff before but it sure isn't objective.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:08 PM

I sent this in a little while ago

'mark@markkreidler.com'

Mr. Krieder:

Your article was both flippant and smug. More importantly, you overlooked the seriousness of the Federal Government utilizing provisions garnered under the heading of “homeland security” in order to legislate their morality.

This anti-gambling legislation LOST REPEATEDLY when submitted on its own merits. The only way that it was passed was to be attached to a Ports Bill that was set up to fund added security at our borders. Unbelievably it was attached at the expense of other legitimate amendments that actually would have helped protect this country.

With online poker you have an activity that is commonly accepted the world over and run by companies that are publicly traded on subject to SEC jurisdiction. These legitimate companies are no longer serving US customers and the funds being sent in and out of the US are no longer being transmitted by transparent means. If the intention of the government was to prevent money laundering and hurt organized crime…well they just did the opposite. The cheers of the moral majority were drowned out by the cheers of the connected corner bookie on the day the bill was passed.

But those somewhat a moot points as national security was never the driving force behind this issue. This issue was driven by two factors:

1) The desire for certain member of the Senate to pander to the religious right in preparation for a Presidential run. And done at the expense of the liberty of the rest of this county.

2) To test the waters and expand in the powers of the Federal Government with regard to governmental control and oversite of the internet.

And those are issues that deserve a little more serious inquiry and debate than provided by in your article.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:09 PM

Feel free to email Kreidler to tell him of his ignorance.

mark@markkreidler.com
Old 03-07-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Feel free to email Kreidler to tell him of his ignorance.

mark@markkreidler.com

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition, EVERYONE on this forum needs to register on the ESPN site and you can make comment on the Kreidler article itself.

I have been told that the average "hot button" items there, like drug use in sports, etc., get an average of 25 comments, while more mundane articles get 2 or 3.
This article needs to get bombarded with comments; the broadcast companies swing a big hammer and you can bet they have influence in Washington.

They even have a poll up with the article to vote yes/no concerning online poker.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:27 PM

ESPN benefits (at least indirectly) from sports gambling, so they ought to oppose the UIGEA. Kreidler should be fired for his ignorance.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:27 PM

Look guys, I wrote this article and I'm sticking to it! You are all clearly degenerates and poker is wrong. It should be stopped and you should all convert to Christians immediately. I love my government and belive in sacrificing some human rights so that our government can have more power and enforce proper beliefs on you poor saps. The government attaching the UIGEA to the port act was the best thing that happened in the history of the U.S. government. I'm a great journalist and all you nay sayers are obviosly addicts who can't understand the awesome savyness of sarcastic rhetoric that I filled this masterpiece with. And yeah, ESPN loves me, so I'm not going anywhere. And Daniel Negraneu needs grammar lessons, his article is pathetic.