Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Beginner aspires to be like you guys

welcome to the forum. You have just received a tremendous amount of good advice and links and I think that is because you seem to have a good attitude and willingness to learn. One thing which I think holds many people back in learning is pride....pride can cause people to not listen to advice, defend the indefensible and in the end cause suckage at poker.

Now it will probably take you some time to get through all the links to really absorb the info and youll probably have to read SSHE many times. DOnt feel bad about this..it is entirely standard. The thing I love about poker is that there really is alot to learn and that learning is staged. Just be realistic about your expectations and treat the early part of your career as a learning experience. If it helps, think of losses as educational expenses [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You will also get as much out of this forum as you put in. You should start be replying to hands, youll probably get corrected but if you can take the tough love youll learn way quicker. We get quite a few people who come on here, make a few posts seeking advice on their stats or what not, get given advice and never return or post much ever again.....and you know what, this isnt the way to learn from the forums. Getting involved will make you a better player. gogogo

[ QUOTE ]
The most important advice I can give you is to be patient. EXTREMELY patient. Along your journey, you will excperience highs like no other, where you think you are Gods gift to poker, but you will also have times where you are completely lost and wonder what the hell went wrong. Just be patient and the numbers will all work themselves out.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should print out Bennys quote and stick it next to your computer. The swings in poker can be sick, if you can minimise the damage when the bad cards come and maximise the winnings when you run sick hot then you are well on your way to poker glory [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

goodluck

ozi

ps Im the session review pimp that Snitchy speaks of
Old 03-07-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to add that I'm a sissy-mary, fratboy, crewbie and don't use PokerTracker or a HUD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just joshin', Doc.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I'm not actually in a fraternity.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to add that I'm a sissy-mary, fratboy, crewbie and don't use PokerTracker or a HUD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just joshin', Doc.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I'm not actually in a fraternity.

[/ QUOTE ]

So sue me. How much of your clothing comes from J. Crew, L.L. Bean (you own a pair of the duck boots, don't you?) or Ambercrombie?

(Don't take this one personally, Doc. I've actually started liking you in the past couple of weeks. The scotch is making me aggro.)
Old 03-07-2007, 04:21 AM

You should think about joining a training video/coaching site. I use Deucescracked.com. It is run three well-known 2plus2 posters.

Welcome to the micros,
fuji
Old 03-07-2007, 05:19 AM

Although it's good to have a target about earning so many bucks a week, you should realise it will take you years to get there.

I would start off with smaller targets of building up your bankroll until you have 300 big blinds of the next level and work your way up.

I am very new myself and the more I read and learn by reading this forum and books, the more I realise how little I know.

Poker tracker is well worth buying because it gives you information on the people you play agaisnt and more importantly it keeps statistics on your play, so you can go back and see what mistakes you are making.

read and reply to the this forum is also a great way to learn and a lot cheaper than making the mistakes in a live game.

good luck and gods speed no your poker journey
Old 03-07-2007, 05:52 AM

hi beak, welcome to the forums.

My best advice: just jump in.

Poker isn't one of those things that you can learn from reading. If it were, I'd be a much better player than I am.

You have to screw up to learn.

Reply to people's hand posts (and do read the FAQ) and you'll definitley make mistakes and be corrected, but this is all to the good.

Just keep at it.

Don't rush yourself either. There is SO much easy money to be made at micro limits that jumping to 2/4 overnight is entirely unnecessary.

Drop down to total basics like .05/.10 and learn how to play solid poker. The earnings come with time.

And whatever you do, don't think about results (eg winrate, pots won, good/bad sessions, etc. .

Think of poker like doing math problems.

If you get the correct answer, it's just a sign that you did the process correctly. It's *not* the purpose of the task.

When you play, try to play perfect poker.

All else follows.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:20 AM

Man, I just scanned the bookmarks.

What a trip down memory lane.

'The stages of a 2+2er' is such a classic.

and 'Raise Jacks out of the SB' pissed off at least one poster so much that he took a six month leave from the forums.

There are so many names in there that I haven't heard or seen in years, it really took me back to the 'good old days' of the forums.

Also, just in case you were wondering, NPA Ed Miller's original name on the boards was 'Majorkong'. That might help you understand a couple of the references in some of the threads.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker tracker is well worth buying...

[/ QUOTE ]
To add to all the reasons already given for getting PokerTracker -- you can replay an entire session, hand by hand, bet by bet, and take as much time as you need to check odds/outs, reads, player notes and so on. I find this so much easier than dry old hand histories, and this kind of practice will help with your real-time decision making the next time you play.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That makes me think, tho, what jurisdiction are you in? United States? Are you aware that there's legislation that is currenntly making it very difficult for players in the US to transfer money into and out of poker sites, and will continue to for some time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in the UK so luckily we don't have any restrictions on online gambling or gambling at all for that matter, (possibly cockfighting). plus the government has abolished gambling tax a few years back so thats one less thing to worry about.

Thanks
Beak
Old 03-07-2007, 01:12 PM

Hey dude, just so you know, we measure bank roll in BB here (that's big bets, not big blinds).

BR management depends on your monthly expenses, what sources of income/net worth you have, how much you care about risk, your winrate in the game, and how risky your style of play is.

Generally speaking you can be more aggressive if you intend to move down at certain thresholds also.

300bb is an acceptable roll for 0.5/1 as long as you have a job already and don't mind buying in again if you need to.

I mean, 150-200bb is enough to get a taste, I think, as long as you start with lots of study between sessions.

But I'm personally more comfortable in the 1000-1500bb range.