Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 09:07 PM

Default 1 table satellites (5400 FPP Stars)

Just played in a couple of these, and since I pretty much never played a satellite before ran into a few tough spots that I'm not sure on. Did decently placing 3 out of 6 for a slight profit FPP value wise, but not sure if all the moves were right.

Here were a few scenarios:

Roughly even stacks 5 handed around 3k each give or take 200-300 per person. Table has been good at bubble strat, pushing when folded to but have gotten a few walks. 200/400 blinds 3k stacks. (This is the scenario for most of my questions)

Everyone folds to SB who pushes, I look down at AJ and call, and hold up against KQ but I think it might be a mistake. If I've gotten 1-2 walks before, is it a bigger mistake? Seems like I'm a flip at best normally, and dominated/dominate pretty evenly. Doubt open push below A8. Take these flip chances or wait for someone else to knockout?

Second time, open pushes from UTG+1, I have 88 on Button, fold or call? I folded.

Another one, do I push in SB with every hand folded to me? They can't call with much, and unlike STT's theres no prize for being the one knocking out the bubbleboy (extra chip equity), so they're def tighter than usual.

Lastly, does being a big stack (4500ish opposed to a couple of 3k's and a short) add much equity? It seems nobody is willing to knock out the shortie and jeopardize themselves so shortie quickly becomes average. Do i openpush most hands to counteract this or just fold and hope something happens?

Any input welcome I hate sats.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re: 1 table satellites (5400 FPP Stars)

Wrong forum or is there another thread for this...?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:48 AM

If you could post a couple converted hands you could get some more responses.

I read over what you wrote, but a little confused on some of it - so it's hard to respond to it.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:54 AM

So...how is the table good at bubble strategy when you epect the sb to fold A7 here?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:58 AM

I play a ton of these, and to me it mostly comes down to common sense about stacks and how everyone else is playing. One thing you want to avoid is being the sole shorty on the bubble. Not pretty. If you take the time to post some converted hands I'll be glad to comment more. Generally you never want to be calling big shoves on the bubble with stuff like AJ (or even AK) if you have a healthy stack.