Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 01:21 AM

Default Re: You can\'t spell \"modern\" without \"mod:\" 98o

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold to a preflop raise from a loose passive BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks dude. I was thinking about this for a while (months). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah it's rare that you make this play but it is specifically when the BB will not raise much preflop from his spot. So you're given a great chance at seeing the flop for half a bet, but you're in deep crap the rare times he does raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

your getting the same odds each time how can you fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
People rarely raise from the BB so his range is too strong to call even at the same odds (implied odds are halved because you're now calling a full bet though).
Old 03-06-2007, 01:41 AM

re: the first part - isnt the strength of his range and our knowledge of it a good thing when we are holding a hand like 98o? it makes it much easier to play optimally against him postflop, and gives us black/white decisions a lot of the time?

sorry miles i dont understand the second part of your post at all... i would have thought our implied odds would go up due to the greater bloatedness of the pot?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:45 AM

Investing 1 bet is different from 0.5 bets. The final pot will be bigger relative to the 0.5 bet investment than it will be relative to the 1 bet investment.

Also being out of position against a good hand range is just flat out hard to play great against. If you flop a pair you will often end up seeing a showdown regardless of what happens postflop (draw to two pair or have the best hand on the flop and turn and then pay off the final bet on the river).
Old 03-06-2007, 01:52 AM

wow.... i never thought of that. ty

honestly i still believe its marginally profitable to call if you are able to put him on a range of JJ-AA, AQ/K or something like that, but i can see how thats contentuous

btw what % do you raise here the first time it gets to you?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:48 AM

Wow. This shizznit has gotten way off-trackaments. Are you just giving up, DM? Maybe the hand isn't as interesting as you thought? At least not as interesting as discussions of colons?

C'mon. You donkbet the river and got raised, right? Or you c/r'd and got taken to 3-town? If the former, fold, the latter, call (you've made the pot big enough for a crying call, imo).
Old 03-06-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. This shizznit has gotten way off-trackaments. Are you just giving up, DM? Maybe the hand isn't as interesting as you thought? At least not as interesting as discussions of colons?

C'mon. You donkbet the river and got raised, right? Or you c/r'd and got taken to 3-town? If the former, fold, the latter, call (you've made the pot big enough for a crying call, imo).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm not sure. Initially I thought there was something interesting here, but I'm starting to think I was wrong. Honestly, I've just been sort of feeling like my game has been stagnating at the level it's at for a while. I play well when I'm on my A game, and play kind of LAGtard when I'm on my B game. Yuck. Anyway, sorry to rant or if this was boring. Maybe preflop coulda become an interesting discussion if I'd pretended the BB had raised.

I bet the river, he calls and shows K9o.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I've just been sort of feeling like my game has been stagnating at the level it's at for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

DocNotModern's ol' timey cure for limit ennui: 15BB Challenge time!