Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 07:14 AM

Default AA Stop N go?

I was just thinking.

Is there ever a time when you would do a stop n go with AA?

From my understanding, the sng has a lower win rate, but much lower variance.

Is there ever a time in an mtt or a sattellite tourney when you would consider doing one?

Please excuse me if this sounds like a stupid question!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Re: AA Stop N go?

Well, I'm not sure its ever really that appropriate.

Heres the thing, a stop n go is used to create fold equity. With AA, you don't ever want to fold your opponent so its really not an applicable move.

If, for some reason, there is a player who raises and might fold for your shove but would NEVER beleive a stop n go then MAAAAYBe but basically no.

If you just call AA OOP pre flop with a shortish stack you should be check/shoving basically every flop.

I guess if you have like 12 BB's and a MP player raises and you call in the BB with AdAh and flop is 5c 6c 7c you might want to shove since a free card is a TOTAL disaster but thats about it.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:38 AM

yes of course you should be stop n going with good hands to give your sng credibility, though short term it will be losing value on the hand
Old 03-06-2007, 08:11 AM

No, I don't agree that you never want to get fold equity rather than action with AA. I posted a hand a year ago or so where I thought a stop and go with QQ was best in a supersatellite. There are some situations in a supersatellite where you might want to stop and go AA because getting your opponent to fold on the flop pretty much assure you of a seat and you don't need to double up. Still, I would be a lot more likely to do this with QQ than AA.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes of course you should be stop n going with good hands to give your sng credibility, though short term it will be losing value on the hand

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible, under no circumstances do you do a true SNG with a big hand like AA, KK, QQ, AK, etc. If your hand is strong stick it in preflop, you do not need to generate FE with these hands so don't do it.

Calling to c/r all in, or planning on shoving certain flops is not a true SNG.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible, under no circumstances do you do a true SNG with a big hand like AA, KK, QQ, AK, etc. If your hand is strong stick it in preflop, you do not need to generate FE with these hands so don't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

you seem to be missing my point, purely from a game theory point of view you have to do a sng with a strong hand to give them credibility. how you put the value on that is difficult, to say never to do it, is wrong not the other way around.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you seem to be missing my point, purely from a game theory point of view you have to do a sng with a strong hand to give them credibility. how you put the value on that is difficult, to say never to do it, is wrong not the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Game Theory does not apply in low buyin big field events.

The only time that it might apply is in live tournaments where you see the same players all the time.

It is usually optimal to play MTTs in an exploitable fassion
Old 03-06-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Game Theory does not apply in low buyin big field events.

[/ QUOTE ]

who mentioned them?

[ QUOTE ]

The only time that it might apply is in live tournaments where you see the same players all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why live, you will often come up against the same opponents in the higher stakes sngs, mtts.

But either way you are agreeing with me.