Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Which Book Should I Write Next?

How about this one?

But seriously I'd be interested in seeing the algebra book.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:29 PM

ALGEBRA FOR TEN YEAR OLDS: #1 priority, however I would encourage you to do a co-publishing deal for this title with a company that specializes in educational books. If 2+2 were to publish it under its own masthead it would not reach the audience it would deserve.

A SIMPLE GUIDE TO "THE THEORY OF POKER": I suggested this to Ed Miller once, I actually think he should rewrite this book with you. His easily approachable style would make this title a huge hit.

50 POKER HANDS THAT REALLY TEACH YOU SOMETHING: This has been done by Jacobs and Cooke, but there is tons of room for another title like it. I don't expect it to be the huge seller that your other titles have been however, its not a breakthrough subject unfortunately (it should be, but it isn't). Food for thought, not of the existing hand sample books have sold that well except Harington's (and we should point out that Harington's 3rd book did not sell as well as the first two).

Whatever your decision, I look forward to your next book!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2007, 08:48 PM

If they were already written, I would pre-order "50 Hands..." and I would probably end up buying "What Poker Teaches Us."
Old 03-06-2007, 08:50 PM

Algebra book by at least a parsec.

Massive potential market. Massive potential nation-wide improvement in basic critical thinking skills. A chance to escape from the poker ghetto. Exposure of 2+2 to vast fields of new customers. Tremendous potential for the calculus sequel. Or the Probability for Teens follow-up (personally I think probability is grossly under-served by the education establishment. Too often it's an elective course whereas obviously an important grasp of several probability concepts is vital to making correct choices all the day long).

While personally they sound very interesting, as far as I'm concerned them other books can wait.

Oh, and please tell Mason to figure out a way to market it on myspace, or maybe offer a free chapter on youtube. That's where the young'uns do stuff nowadays.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ALGEBRA FOR TEN YEAR OLDS: #1 priority, however I would encourage you to do a co-publishing deal for this title with a company that specializes in educational books. If 2+2 were to publish it under its own masthead it would not reach the audience it would deserve.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good and important point. If the condition of making Mason money means that the book would have to be released by 2+2, then this one is a bad idea. 2+2 just isn't a good enough or big enough publisher to do a mass-appeal Algebra book justice. It needs to be all pretty and stuff, and there are all kinds of back-door deals that need to be made with education resellers/bookstores/etc.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Put on your unselfish hat and don't necessarily think about what would be best for you. Rather think about what would be best for the world. And what would make me and Mason the most money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Trying to reconcile these goals here. Of the four, What Poker Teaches Us seems likely of most use to “the world” (if we’re talking more than just poker players). A Simple Guide to the TOP would make you & Mason the most $ (as it would also encourage further sales of TOP).

When I take off the unselfish hat, though, 50 Hands is easily the most intriguing to me.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:08 PM

As a high school science teacher, I would want you to write the Algebra book. It is shocking how low students math skills are in the US these days.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:18 PM

How about a book on PLO?
Of those four, I vote for 50 hands. --ba
Old 03-06-2007, 09:21 PM

I wish ALGEBRA FOR TEN YEAR OLDS was available way back when I had to learn it. Write it.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:34 PM

For interest/value, 50 Hands.
For the good of the world, easily Algebra for 10-Year-Olds et. al.
For profit for you and MM, How Game Theory Helped Me Pok'er, Illustrated