Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: minnesota LHE players

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i decided to play 8/16 at canterbury tonight for 7 hours. i can now state unequivocally that those players are the worst in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive lost 7 racks in that game before in one night

[/ QUOTE ]

Statements like these make me wonder why I should move up and play this game on a regular basis. I know if you get hot you could probably win quite a bit in this kind of game but I just hate playing these Canterbury donks who call raises with anything and cap it with 5-7 offsuit then call all the way down with any pair or any draw. It just seems like a lottery with a lot of these loose donks. Cap it and we'll see who has the best hand at the river 4 handed. It just seems to take a lot of the fun and skill out of the game.
I am a winning player at 6/12 and that is what I've encountered the few times I have played that 8/16 game. Maybe I should just move up to 15/30.
Any thoughts or opinions on that?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i decided to play 8/16 at canterbury tonight for 7 hours. i can now state unequivocally that those players are the worst in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Statements like these make me wonder why I should move up and play this game on a regular basis. I know if you get hot you could probably win quite a bit in this kind of game but I just hate playing these Canterbury donks who call raises with anything and cap it with 5-7 offsuit then call all the way down with any pair or any draw. It just seems like a lottery with a lot of these loose donks. Cap it and we'll see who has the best hand at the river 4 handed. It just seems to take a lot of the fun and skill out of the game.
I am a winning player at 6/12 and that is what I've encountered the few times I have played that 8/16 game. Maybe I should just move up to 15/30.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think you should move up until you realize why the statements you made are reasons why you should play 8/16 rather than avoid it.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:22 PM

"I dont think you should move up until you realize why the statements you made are reasons why you should play 8/16 rather than avoid it. "

So Mitch, what type of adjustments do you recommend for these game conditions?

Personally, I find that raising with big cards get 3-5 callers. And we want loose players to call with crap and play their draws because most times, they will lose. It does take some fortitude to deal with losing when you have the best starting hand. I'm beginning to believe that I need to widen my hand range in middle and late position as well as trying to determine of I should be calling two bets preflop with more hands when there are 4+ others seeing the flop.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I dont think you should move up until you realize why the statements you made are reasons why you should play 8/16 rather than avoid it. "

Personally, I find that raising with big cards get 3-5 callers. And we want loose players to call with crap and play their draws because most times, they will lose. It does take some fortitude to deal with losing when you have the best starting hand. I'm beginning to believe that I need to widen my hand range in middle and late position as well as trying to determine of I should be calling two bets preflop with more hands when there are 4+ others seeing the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should train yourself to understand that you are not going to win every pot that you raise pf. The game is not about winning the most pots. Its about winning the most $. The pots you do win will be large and will more than compensate for the ones that you lose when sucked out on (assuming you dont spew or showdown hopelessly). My biggest leaks in that game were continuation betting into large fields when I missed flop, not getting rid of overpairs when obv, beat, and going to showdown too much with little hope of winning. Since you are gonna have to showdown a winning hand in this game, continuation betting should be reserved for 2 to 3 way pots(Though this should be true of most games).

I would also suggest using an attacking style pf. Dont be afraid to raise late position open-limpers w/ more marginal holdings, and raising a field of limpers for value on the button w/ hands like JTs or 77, etc. The game is more loose than it is aggressive so attack while your equity is good and dont fight hopelessly trying to win an unwinnable pot.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:37 PM

Your big pairs and AK aren't going to hold up much in this 8/16 game vs 5-6 players preflop so you should definitely open up your starting requirements in mid-late position. If there is already one limper you should definitely limp as well with hands like 7,8s, 33, A3s. Your only hope is to flop a big hand and hold on until the river and hope it holds up because 2 or 3 will chase all the way there. I would definitely also call two bets with hands like listed above if some one else has called before you because it is likely that the hand will still be 4 or 5 way and if you hit a big hand you will win a nice pot.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think you should move up until you realize why the statements you made are reasons why you should play 8/16 rather than avoid it.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should train yourself to understand that you are not going to win every pot that you raise pf. The game is not about winning the most pots. Its about winning the most $. The pots you do win will be large and will more than compensate for the ones that you lose when sucked out on (assuming you dont spew or showdown hopelessly). My biggest leaks in that game were continuation betting into large fields when I missed flop, not getting rid of overpairs when obv, beat, and going to showdown too much with little hope of winning. Since you are gonna have to showdown a winning hand in this game, continuation betting should be reserved for 2 to 3 way pots(Though this should be true of most games).

I would also suggest using an attacking style pf. Dont be afraid to raise late position open-limpers w/ more marginal holdings, and raising a field of limpers for value on the button w/ hands like JTs or 77, etc. The game is more loose than it is aggressive so attack while your equity is good and dont fight hopelessly trying to win an unwinnable pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

very good post mitch, right on the money

I think the most important part is having a sufficient bankroll for the game and by sufficient i mean like 400BB+, and being prepared to take nasty beats while avoiding tilt, tilting will KILL you in that game
Old 03-07-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mi cam es tu cama.

[/ QUOTE ]

ewwwwww.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mi cam es tu cama.

[/ QUOTE ]

ewwwwww.

[/ QUOTE ]

a man has needs.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not getting rid of overpairs when obv, beat, and going to showdown too much with little hope of winning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bet a ton of decent but not great players (like me) have the same leak. Reminds me of that KK hand somebody posted where it was obv that opponent had set or flush. Your excellent posts in that thread indicate that you have closed this leak.