Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Bad beat jackpot/show \'em

We used to play .25/.50 blinds in NL and PL mixed games but recently moved to 1/2 NL HE and O/O8. Under the old system, the odd quarters at cashout went into the bad beat jackpot and it grew very slowly. Then I found some "show 'em" chips (something we used to do with a dealer button; there was only one and the person it was played on got it until they used it) and incorporated that into our game to build the bad beat. I also let people know I scrape off a couple bucks per session to replace Copags when they're inevitably bent or chipped.

Basically you can buy one or more "show 'em" chips for a buck and play it at the end of a hand to see your opponent's cards. It's gone over swimmingly and the bad beat has grown by leaps and bounds.

Question is, has anyone used these before and found they kill the action too much? It's a helluva lot easier to fold a second- or third- best Omaha hand if you can see your villain's cards when you may otherwise call. OTOH, there's a bigger bad beat for people to win and it adds to the jovial atmosphere of the home game when you can call bullsh*t on someone.

Thoughts?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Bad beat jackpot/show \'em

Preface: I play in this game regularly.

The show'em chips kill action to some degree. This can swing both ways though, and can be a good thing. If I don't bluff very much and I consistantly put people to tough decisions when I've got the goods it will cost me money. They will have that good but not great second best hand, and since they're a total calling station I can value bet like mad, until they've got an arsenal of "Show'em" chips. Then they just think about it and shrug, saying "What have you got?" I show and scoop a pot that's $40 too light.

However, you're right in that it definitely adds to the enjoyment of the group. When someone is caught with a big bluff, everyone has a laugh and it gets people talking and enjoying things more.

Also, people use these chips in different ways, and it can become a tell. Some people can't wait to use them and you can bluff them out of pots easily.

Overall, I'd rather not see them used as frequently as they are. Previously, when there was only one that was passed around, it served it's purpose to liven up the group, but did not become a crutch for people to save their stack and still see what the guy bet with.