Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: whats a general bankroll needed for playing headsup SnGs?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when i use to play the 9 players, 30 buyins seemed safe to me

[/ QUOTE ]

it seems safe until you run bad

[/ QUOTE ]

true story
Old 03-06-2007, 02:37 AM

30 buyins is only safe for 9 players if you are dropping down a limit when you lose half your roll or something. Variance hits like a Mack Truck in those, I've had nights when I played those where I was down 12 buyins, then up 8, then finished the night down 4, all within like 3 or 4 hours.

As for heads-up, if you are a winner, I'd say at most limits 20-30 is more than safe to cover variance, and if you even play with 20 and get into a danger zone where you're down a lot, you probably need to re-evaluate your play. If you are playing the high limits, your edge is going to be smaller usually, so you probably need a higher roll, but I still think 20-30 is probably mostly fine forall but the highest stakes, and it's maybe overkill at low stakes (but overkill isn't a bad thing in this case).
Old 03-06-2007, 02:45 AM

I actually think what you can psychologically handle losing is much more important in this regard, if your smart and can move down you should probably never go broke, however if losing some % of your bankroll gets you angry and causes bad play or forces you to stop playing (because you will tilt) this is much more important to understand and much harder to assess. The difference between playing with a 20 buy in roll and 30 buy in roll is pretty minimal IMO its just going to involve faster moving up and down for the 20 buy in roll if your smart and are within your psychological limits, however if you snap no amount is going to be big enough to keep you in action.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually think what you can psychologically handle losing is much more important in this regard, if your smart and can move down you should probably never go broke, however if losing some % of your bankroll gets you angry and causes bad play or forces you to stop playing (because you will tilt) this is much more important to understand and much harder to assess. The difference between playing with a 20 buy in roll and 30 buy in roll is pretty minimal IMO its just going to involve faster moving up and down for the 20 buy in roll if your smart and are within your psychological limits, however if you snap no amount is going to be big enough to keep you in action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually going to mention this too: Being over-rolled is definitely better from that aspect. I know personally when I take a few big hits at the higher limits that I play, I don't actually go on massive tilt and spew money toooo much, but I do tend to be annoyed enough that I just take myself out of the game for a while, which hurts my poker income just as much. I have been thinking a lot lately that if I always played pretty low, I'd be able to just autopilot through a ton of games per day and probably would make more with less stress.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:07 AM

Depends on a lot of factors:

Reasons for 20-30 buyins:

-Quicker to move up when winning than if you used 50 buyins for the same game.(Example: Playing $21 HU, you would need between $420-$630. If you are playing with 50 buyins, you would need $1,050) Would take longer to move up with more buyins than less. Longer term profits with less buyins if you are a winning player.

-Poor players. Tight/passive/predicable. Can easily put them on a range of hands.

For all buyins: Game selection. If you have account at different poker rooms, I suggest playing a few HU SNG's at each, and play at the one that you feel most at ease in.

Case for 50 buyins:

-Psychological/Emotional: Losing 5 matches is only 10% of your bankroll, not between 25% to 16% of your bankroll.

-If you are prone to tilt/stress from losing, more buyins is better.

-If you have a hard time moving down during a downswing.

-Players are very loose/aggressive. Hard to put them on a range of hands, don't know where you stand.

For making more $ faster, it is better to have less buyins, but you must take in effect the variance and emotional issues with poker to determine your own bankroll.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:04 AM

how much buyins like you for nl hu cg's?