Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 08:12 AM

Default How much to bet...

I've noticed at my micro-level that some players bet small in relation to the pot, then i call them down with my top pair or 2pair and then they flip a set over. Then i go like, dude, wtf, you could've at least try to get some more chips outta me!?! Coz i think top pair or superpair (like i call 2 pair) isn't that good and it should win medium pots at most, so calling small bets down doesn't bother me that much. is this wrong?

Normally when i flop nuttish hands like a set, I take the players into account. e.g. if i'm in position and everyone checked, i would make the bet i planned a little lower, or 3xraise the first bet even if it's not potsize, etc. I would like to hear your thoughts on how much you adjust your bet? i don't know if sometimes players adjust their bets too low for the value of their hand?!? and no, im not talking about slow-playing, im talking about players making small bets with good hands (like in keeping the bet same on the river)

of course if he calls i would make a much larger bet on the next street. next, when you're utg and you fire away, i sometimes end up betting into better hands like quads [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] How do you know when you're betting into someone?
Old 03-07-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: How much to bet...

[ QUOTE ]
superpair (like i call 2 pair)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is f'ing brilliant. I will do my best to make this forumwide lingo.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:05 AM

if you dont have a good read on the strength of your opponents hands, raise their bets from position. if they bet 10 cents make it 40, and see how quickly they react. a lot of times at low limits this bet will be instacalled, and they will increase their turn and river bets as a consequence. lucky for you you wont have to call turn/river bets after defining your hand with your raise. at the very least youll know to proceed with caution
Old 03-09-2007, 01:39 PM

I've had a very difficult time myself figuring out the betting styles of the micro-limit tables on FTP. I have yet to develop what I feel to be a winning strategy... I have to make my money up in tournaments where I fair MUCH better.

I don't think most of the microlimit players online know really how to bet or the power of what they have... but, the reverse is true... as I've seen many players at those tables calling down big bets with very mediocre hands (like top pair with 4 to a straight on the board).

Micro-limit tables have very unpredictable betting. I feel your pain.