Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Account hacking - Poker sites need to do more imo

Seems like every day I'm reading more and more posts about someone's account getting hacked for lots of money. With the technology that is available today I think that it’s unethical that the poker sites are not doing more to improve security. Most of the hacking that is going on could be avoided if the poker sites would spend the money on some kind of multi factor authentication security software.

I know that in the U.S. new security guidelines are in place for financial institutions that require them to implement another form of account authentication besides a simple username and password. The poker sites should all be doing this.

We as players need to start demanding more from the poker sites on account security. The bottom line is if Stars or FT would implement more robust security I guarantee they could take market share from the other. With all that's going on with hacking players want to feel like there’s decent security in place to protect their account.

Anybody have an idea why Stars and FT aren’t doing more to protect player accounts?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: ACCOUNT HACKING - POKER SITES NEED TO DO MORE!!

Obviously you haven't been keeping up with the zoo. The sites do quite abite. FTP kinda takes it too extreme and will lock an account with little cause - just ask the greedy play money chasers.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- just ask the greedy play money chasers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean by this but I guess I was thinking they should be doing something a little more productive.

It seems there reactions so far have been reactionary not so much focusing on prevention. I'm just pointing out that the technology is out there that would require players to register the IP addresses where they want to play from. This can be done in a user friendly way and would greatly reduce the likleyhood of hacking.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:33 PM

I believe most of the hacking that has been done because of lax security on the users end, or plain ignorance. I don't blame the sites one bit.

Most people I have known that have been hacked, it has been from emails, torrents, or other frivilous downloads. Most people that have been ignorant, have provided the info needed to hack, themselves.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:03 PM

Does the OP have any suggestions as to what a poker site might do better? Common, if you're going to stir this up, offer some examples of what they can do better.

In general use an alpha numeric password at least. Adding symbols, random characters, and misspelled words is even better.

Also, I would be happy to test the security of the OP's password if he would like to PM it to me.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean by this but I guess I was thinking they should be doing something a little more productive.

It seems there reactions so far have been reactionary not so much focusing on prevention. I'm just pointing out that the technology is out there that would require players to register the IP addresses where they want to play from. This can be done in a user friendly way and would greatly reduce the likleyhood of hacking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Long story short- someone made a malicious attempt to get lots of accounts close by giving a "sad" storty of online poker and giving it up with 1,000,000 in play money on the account. He gave username and password and many tried it only to get there account shut down.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Long story short- someone made a malicious attempt to get lots of accounts close by giving a "sad" storty of online poker and giving it up with 1,000,000 in play money on the account. He gave username and password and many tried it only to get there account shut down.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, a bunch of morans got locked out. Big deal. Sucks for the sharks that the fish get [censored], but really. Who cares about play $$$ chips anyhow? Anyone going after that probably didn't have real $$ anyway..
Old 03-05-2007, 11:23 PM

Check this guys

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post9438070
Old 03-05-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the OP have any suggestions as to what a poker site might do better? Common, if you're going to stir this up, offer some examples of what they can do better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell you what I've seen in the U.S. recently. The one I like the best works like this:

The first time the user logs in they are required to answer five or so questions that only they would likely know. Note the questions asked are not the stupid ones you've seen like how much is your mortgage payment?, etc. After initially registered the system logs usage by IP address. Every time the user logs in from a system with an unfamiliar IP address they are prompted to answer the security questions. If they cannot they will not be able to play from that computer.

Pretty simple solution that would work to stop most of the hacks that are occurring. I did a little research and there are many different flavors of this that are available through lots of companies. The poker sites would likely need to develop their own system internally.

Obv this isn’t going to stop hacks where a roommate gets access to your pc and logs into your account because you have your password set to remember. But as for the hacks occurring in other countries it would do a lot to stop them.

As for your offer to test the security of my password...lol
Old 03-05-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, a bunch of morans got locked out. Big deal. Sucks for the sharks that the fish get [censored], but really. Who cares about play $$$ chips anyhow? Anyone going after that probably didn't have real $$ anyway..

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm. I agree completely. I know nothing about the play money accounts my concern is more focused on the live money accounts.