Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 11:58 PM

Default The Secret Profit in O8 is Rakeback?

At least I seem to get more rakeback faster than a similarly rolled NLH game. I don't have PT for Omaha so I can't verify. Anyone else notice this?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Re: The Secret Profit in O8 is Rakeback?

A lot of places have no flop no drop policies but in o8 there is almost always a flop and large pots (though they're often split) so I wouldn't be surprised. I checked my RB site and when i started playing omaha I doubled my RB
Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 AM

I have a RB deal and I play a lot of O8, but the games are a lot slower, even SH, than my regular SHLHE, and thus i play less hands, and get less RB.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:19 AM

a lil bit. but i get the same Rakeback (per hour) 5 tabling PLO8 as 8 tabling NLHE (same stakes obvi).

O8 is slowwer, but just about every pot is max rake at low limits. i dont kno about LO8 tho. i used to bonus burn at 3/6LO8, and that went quick, but i felt like i was burning faster 4 tabling 1/2LHE. i dunno...i think its a pick ur poison kind of deal. tho i def pick profit from game > RB.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:29 AM

PLO8 made it possible for me to clear my Pokerstars bonus in much shorter time than if I had done it on the same low-limit NLHE tables.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:07 AM

PLO8 probably generates more rake than any other game, so it would make sense that you receive more RB per hand. PLO8 6-max would generate even more. I think I may need to add an hour session a week just to generate so more RB in a lower variance game (I usually play NLHE 6-max).
Old 03-05-2007, 11:16 AM

"{I think I may need to add an hour session a week just to generate so more RB in a lower variance game (I usually play NLHE 6-max)."

PLO8 is lower variance then NLHE? This is news to me.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"{I think I may need to add an hour session a week just to generate so more RB in a lower variance game (I usually play NLHE 6-max)."

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't a split pot game be lower variance by nature, assuming equal player skills?

I think PLO8 is a lot harder to play well (at least for this donkey) and that means that the better players have a bigger advantage of the average, fishy players, which I guess would increase their variance. Are 20-30 buy-in downswings the norm in PLO8?

I am no math genius so if there is a mathematical explanation, a few short sentences composed of mostly 2-syllable words would be appreciated.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 PM

in 6 weeks of 3/6 and 2/4 limit o/8 on wpx i made like 18k. 100% RB is crazy.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't a split pot game be lower variance by nature, assuming equal player skills?

I think PLO8 is a lot harder to play well (at least for this donkey) and that means that the better players have a bigger advantage of the average, fishy players, which I guess would increase their variance. Are 20-30 buy-in downswings the norm in PLO8?

I am no math genius so if there is a mathematical explanation, a few short sentences composed of mostly 2-syllable words would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure about which has more variance, 6PLO8, or 6NLHE. but i will say that i think 6PLO8 has more. for the following reason...ur edges in the game are going to b composed of 60/40, and 55/45s. LO8 has very little variance, but once you add in the PL variant, the game's variance increases by quite a bit. and i dont kno how often you will encounter a 20BI downswing, but i just recently broke out of a 15BI downswing. so...it happens. of course, im aggro and create high variance situations. i suppose if you play a very TightWeak game you could dodge some variance, but in all, i think PLO8 will still have massive, and more than NLHE, variance playin shorthanded

just my 2cents...