Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Nut low and poor flush draw facing c/r

Sorry if this is really simple but I haven't been playing PLO8 long and I thought it was quite an interesting hand. Obviously I almost never have the best high hand at the moment but I have the flush draw as well as a gutshot to the 6 high straight.

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $25.05
UTG+1: $24.85
CO: $20.35
Button: $23.80
SB: $15.05
Hero: $39.15

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($1, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.95</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($3.85, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $6.7</font>
Old 03-04-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Nut low and poor flush draw facing c/r

Hard to say what SB would have if he's playing sensibly. A344 or maybe A348? But more likely he has something else and is playing in a tricky or goofy way.
Anyway, I don't think I can find the laydown here. If SB has nut low plus nut flush draw you at least have some of his outs and may have outs to a better high if he hasn't paired the board; also, most people would bet this flop if they had NL+NFD. If he's got nut low plus two pair, you still have enough outs to justify a call. Only if villain has something like A34K with a better flush draw are you really out of luck. This is ignoring the possibility that CO would also call, which would presumably increase the chance of being quartered but also make it less painful.
Anyway, maybe this is should be folded, but it's a fold I don't think I could make most of the time.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:13 AM

Yes, hammer the turn - you're very very unlikely to get 3/4rd and do have a hand that can scoop - especially considering you have a decent backup low card.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:24 AM

I'm with the crowd on this one. Seems like a fold cannot be right, and the raiser is halfway there. Your options are to call and fold if your nut low is counterfeited, which seems silly, or to call and call any river bet.

If you're going to call any river bet, you should not give villain a chance to walk away if V doesn't like the river. Gotta pot this and put V all-in.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:44 AM

I don't think this hand is worth risking so much money, I would fold.

You've worked hard for those $39, you don't want to lose them by calling 2 big bets on the turn and river. You might be drawing dead to the flush also.

If you had a 5 instead of a 6 in your hand, it would be a completely different story.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:55 AM

Yeah, I really don't think that the turn gave him an amazing hi and no lo. He's definitely check/raising pot there because he has a nut low, and you've got the lo and a bunch of outs to probably quarter one or both of them. I think that on the turn, the CO has maybe 2nd nut low and at best crappy flush draw, but I doubt him or SB are drawing at a flush. If an A comes (there are only probably 1 or 2 of them left), I can see you having the lo. You have 9 outs for the flush and 3 non-diamond 5's to give you the straight, thats 15-16 outs for a pretty good hand. if a 3 comes you're probably alright for the lo too. So I'll probably call here to keep the CO in the hand and see what happens on the river, but check/call if flush doesn't hit. Tough situation though.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:15 PM

Ok, thanks for the input. I did call and river was perfect (a 5), he shoved and I quickly called. As it happens he had one of the worst possible hands I could be against. He had A35Q with nut flush draw, giving him a better high currently and a less counterfeitable low so I actually only had 6 outs to 3/4 him (3 5s and 3 9s) and everything else meant he 3/4ed me.

CO called the turn and folded the river 5 which made me think he probably had something like 2nd nut low and a flush draw and was basically just adding equity to me and SB.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:42 PM

Yes, hammer the turn

I don't like a raise here simply because I think you usually want CO to call. Versus a single opponent where you think you'll be calling/betting any river anyway I don't mind it; I guess that way someone who has a set doesn't get a chance to fold if the flush comes on the river. But here I would just call. Another benefit of just calling is that depending on SB's high (assuming he has the nut low), he may not jam the river even with some hands that would quarter you.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:23 PM

I would hammer it, and then hammer it again. You have a redraw that is useful way more often than not.

And I would take my medicine (the 1/4) without reservation because it is simply more likely than not that you are freerolling. Beware the rock, though.