Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: The Well: curtains 3/2/07

[ QUOTE ]
ok i'm a little drunk, but not nearly as drunk as last time.

i'm going through a rap // hip hop stage in my music life.

i have found that there is a strong similarity to the messages they're sending and the life that all of the online poker ppls have been living. true/false ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I suspect I live a much different life than most of the younger online poker ppls?
Old 03-04-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
microbet

LOOK WHO IS A HUGE FAN OF NASH EQUILIBRIUM NOW!! LOL I REMEMBER WHEN YOU ARGUED WITH ME ABOUT IT BEING SO MEH AND NOT HELPFUL.

SUCK ON THAT MICROJACKASS!

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question!
Old 03-04-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Based on my hands and strategy posts, and what you know of my results*, do you have any guess as to why I seem to be mediocre at SNGs?

* FYI - 12% ROI over a few K $60s, steady decline to breakeven over the next few K, to ugly loser over the last few K. Oh yeah, I have a -5% ROI over 1500 $114s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly you do seem to have a lot of holes/weaknesses. Always felt you make sit and go's out to be a lot more complicated than they are, and doing too many weird fancy things, giving your opponents too much credit and etc.

Even more troubling than this is your tendency to tilt and play at stakes higher than those you should. I know you went busto at some point going crazy with the end of your bankroll. Such behavior should be very very troubling for a poker player.

I'm not sure offhand what the solution is. If you don't have a firm history of success at Sit and Gos, I think it's clear that you should try another game, as sit and gos are only getting more difficult. If I had to guess I'd say that MTT's are more suited to your game, although you still probably need to learn a few things about how to think about poker.

Main keys are to not overestimate your opponents, not to overthink simple situations, not to get involved with weak/mediocre hands on a regular basis, and for SnGs spend more time learning purely mathematical situations...for instance there is no excuse for you to not have the K+S chart memorized. If I ask you the K+S number for something like Q6s, you should be able to almost immediately give a reasonably close estimation. Not sure if you would be able to do this? This is just my quick feeling when thinking back upon some of your posts.

I think you may also gain a lot by experimenting with a VERY tight preflop style for a bit, at least until the blinds get high and you need to steal. But basically yea, I'd suggest switching to MTTs. There is money to be made there too. I don't suggest cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

btw one more note because this post may sound a bit mean. Basically my point is that the following seem to be true:

1. You seem to want to play poker creatively
2. You seem to have occasional issues with tilt/bankroll management

In my opinion it's best for someone who fits the above categories to play solely MTTs. A good example of this may be lacky, although he doesn't suffer from #2 I think. However he has stated a few times how he just had trouble dealing with the robotic passive weaktightish style of sit and go's, and I get the sense that it's not ideal for you either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks curtains. I think some of this stuff is wag guessing (as I asked for) that hits the mark, and some maybe doesn't. But I deeply appreciate all the time and thought you put into it. It wasn't easy for me to make my post and I can tell you took it seriously. Thanks again.

Also just FYI - my one $21k blowout was when I was had just *won* a ton and was completely blotto. I feel fairly confident this was a one time thing. But I guess you never know. I never go bananas when I'm losing. But I do have a tendency to not know when to move down, lower my # of tables, or take a break, which can obviously exsacerbate my losing streaks. But I just wanted to clarify I didn't blow my roll from downswing tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyway based solely on your stats from playing SNG's, you should switch games. There is too much stastistical signifigance that seems to say that they aren't the best for you. MTT play is very rewarding if you have the time and can take some varaince, and also any kind of tilt or emotional issues are much less damaging in MTTs.

Do you have any opinion on this recommendation or are you still interested in sticking to SNGs? I know you play MTTs sometimes already...at least I think you do?
Old 03-04-2007, 02:40 PM

Will you make any more videos of your SNG play? (I liked the earlier ones) Thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
microbet

LOOK WHO IS A HUGE FAN OF NASH EQUILIBRIUM NOW!! LOL I REMEMBER WHEN YOU ARGUED WITH ME ABOUT IT BEING SO MEH AND NOT HELPFUL.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh. "Meh and not helpful" is not accurate. Some people take it too far and when I talk to them, or to other people about them, I might sound negative about NE. Against people who are playing incorrectly NE is sub-optimal, ex vi termini.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will you make any more videos of your SNG play? (I liked the earlier ones) Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably should do that, have been focusing on cash game play so haven't really been in the SNG groove. I was really angry once when I made a video that had so many interesting moments and situations and somehow it didn't record.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
microbet

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh. "Meh and not helpful" is not accurate. Some people take it too far and when I talk to them, or to other people about them, I might sound negative about NE. Against people who are playing incorrectly NE is sub-optimal, ex vi termini.

[/ QUOTE ]

NE is good to know, but doesn't mean much most of the time from a practical standpoint. However it's always good to know such as much theoretical stuff as possible because you never know when it'll come in handy. The folly is to act as though it's relevant in any situation against any opponent.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any opinion on this recommendation or are you still interested in sticking to SNGs? I know you play MTTs sometimes already...at least I think you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had some success with MTTs in the past. Probably my biggest lucksack thing in all of poker is my 1/2/3 distro in MTTs of something like 17/0/5. (I have chopped a few though.) But kind of like everything else I've been on a super-cooler in them lately. Ever since shaniac hit his flush draw against my set for about $10k in equity back in Sept., I haven't done diddly.

I'm probably starting a new full time job soon, in addition to the contract job I already have. So I'll be playing poker as a hobby for a long while, either cash or MTTs probably.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:50 PM

why did you leave bklyn b!tch???!!! No seriously, why? (not important, just curious)
Old 03-04-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why did you leave bklyn b!tch???!!! No seriously, why? (not important, just curious)

[/ QUOTE ]

My ex didn't like it there. I wanted to stay at the time, but there were serious advantages to moving, such as actually having a lot of space in your home. I'm now very happy that I made the move.