Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Using Talk

Any one else talk alot at the table? I tend to do better in live games then online (assuming 1/2 NL live would be the same level at 25NL online)and I do tend to talk alot. I like breaking balls on bad beats and asks alot of questions when in a hand. Could talking really add something much to my live games?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Using Talk

I tend to talk alot in live too. I feel that it adds more interest to the table and when you get others to talk you can tell their demanour and pick up tells easier.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like breaking balls on bad beats

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just love to hear an example of this.

Btw, the more you talk about poker at the table the more you might reveal about your own game.

b
Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 PM

Against better players, talk can give away tells.

For example, we have this one player, who when on the short stack and starts betting says, "Send me home boys." This means he has the near nuts.

-J
Old 03-03-2007, 03:20 PM

It's no secret that being vocal affects other people. However, I figure most people don't know how to interpret all the information they receive, or what effect their general comments have on the entire dynamic of the game. For example, rubbing in a beat could put that particular player on tilt, yet at the same time, cause two other players to play harder against you for being a jerk. It's this unpredictability that tends to keep me quiet, not to mention that being really vocal sometimes throws me off my own game without realizing it.

There are definately scenarios where I ask several questions to my opponent (big pots). I'm not particularly sure how to directly interpret their answers, but I seem to take in a lot of information subconsciously that helps me make my decision.

I also find that being a generally friendly person can help a lot with parting people with their money. This applies to both poker and business. I've seen people employ false sincerity pretty well when involved in a pot, but I usually feel too guilty to do so. An example would be bluffing into a weak-minded opponent and being sincere and comforting in telling him that he's beat.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:32 AM

Check out my recent posts regarding 'Live play and Lying', its a good discussion!