Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 12:35 PM

Default When to let go of this hand?

Background info: I should mention that the table action had been loose, and villain had been very aggressive on the button (hence why I called the raise with q-10 4-handed).

Still, I am disgusted with how this played out. I had a good draw the whole time, and calling a 2/3 pot bet didn't seem too expensive. It added up though, and basically ruined me. At what point should I have let it go? Or given the loose rep of the button, should I have just shoved the flop?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t3605)
Button :#A500AF(Villain)/ (t2465)
SB (t1605)
BB (t1325)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls t100, <font color="#CC3333">Button :#A500AF(Villain)/ raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t300.

Flop: (t950) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets t600</font>, Hero calls t600.

Turn: (t2150) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets t900</font>, Hero calls t900.

River: (t3950) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets t565 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t4515
Old 03-01-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: When to let go of this hand?

Pre flop
Old 03-01-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, yes... but considering that Villain has been loose agg, and raising it on the button practically every time, that's why I called.

What about the decisions after the flop?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:54 PM

don't like the limp. anyway if this is the bubble, i'd push preflop after button's raise. flop and after is just bad, either fold or push flop.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:31 PM

Like basically, my big problem with this hand is your thought process on every decision seems to be "oh i'll call and hope i hit something". That's just bad poker. You aren't really getting great odds on any of the calls, so you either need to decide to dump the hand for cheap at some point (the earlier the better) or try to give yourself some way to win besides hitting the board - i.e. semibluffing the flop, limp/pushing preflop if you think he is raising a wide range but can fold to a re-raise, etc.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like basically, my big problem with this hand is your thought process on every decision seems to be "oh i'll call and hope i hit something". That's just bad poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Looking back, here are the two possible ways I might have done it differently:
1. Raise pf, shove flop.
2. As played, except on the turn, either shove or check-shove.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:09 PM

You played this hand wrong on every street. You need to fold at any point possible including the turn.

What does the turn give you? A pair of tens? So what? "But I might hit two pair so I have more outs." No, you don't. If you hit you Q then you have straights to worry about.

just fold this crap and stop wondering where all your money is going.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like basically, my big problem with this hand is your thought process on every decision seems to be "oh i'll call and hope i hit something". That's just bad poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Looking back, here are the two possible ways I might have done it differently:
1. Raise pf, shove flop.
2. As played, except on the turn, either shove or check-shove.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-01-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You played this hand wrong on every street. You need to fold at any point possible including the turn.

What does the turn give you? A pair of tens? So what? "But I might hit two pair so I have more outs." No, you don't. If you hit you Q then you have straights to worry about.

[/ QUOTE ]

No arguments that I played the hand wrong here on every turn... I posted it on here for the, uh, constructive criticism.

If I shoved on the turn, it would be to represent a made straight and, with his whole stack on the line, might get villain to lay down a higher pair. Hoping for 2 pair is not even part of the equation.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:28 PM

I would fold this preflop given your description of the action. I would hope that Button and his aggression are able to take out/cripple one of the shorties, or if they fold to his presumed raise, it's not a huge help to him, but still does impact the Blinds negatively.

If I did want to play this hand pf -- which I wouldn't -- then I would open to 3xBB represent a big pair, AK type hand.
As played, I'd fold on the flop.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:04 PM

i would fold this pf especially with your read. let the button force the action on the shorties. no need to get involved with these types of hands. also, each time you call in this hand you are compounding your mistake.