Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 12:13 PM

Default £3: KJs in BB, what would you have done?

I know i played this hand incredibly bad..I dont know what i was thinking, but I'm just wondering what other people would have done.
Also...what where the chances of one of the players having a straight on the turn? or a straight or flush draw on the flop? thanks everyone!
here it is:

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1480)
UTG+1 (t1400)
MP1 (t1480)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO+1 (t1480)
CO (t1490)
Button (t1770)
SB (t1400)
Hero (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t20, MP3 calls t20, <font color="gray">CO+1 folds</font>, CO calls t20, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t10, <font color="red">Hero raises to t40</font>, UTG+1 calls t20, MP2 calls t20, MP3 calls t20, CO calls t20, SB calls t20

Flop: (t260) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t60</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t60, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, SB calls t60

Turn: (t440) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t220</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t440</font>, MP2 calls t440, <font color="red">SB raises to t660</font>, Hero calls t220, MP2 calls t220

River: (t2640) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t640 (All-in)</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t740 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>
Old 03-03-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: £3: KJs in BB, what would you have done?

Fold preflop. As played put a pot sized bet in on flop, while planning fold to any type of raise. I can't really figure out what you are trying to do here.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop. As played put a pot sized bet in on flop, while planning fold to any type of raise. I can't really figure out what you are trying to do here.

[/ QUOTE ]

and i cant figure out why you would fold preflop
Old 03-03-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't figure out why you would ever min-raise into 5 limpers with KJs... or any two cards for that matter... just check and take your free flop
Old 03-03-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't figure out why you would ever min-raise into 5 limpers with KJs... or any two cards for that matter... just check and take your free flop

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldnt, but id never fold preflop either. DUCY?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldnt, but id never fold preflop either. DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

obv.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:06 PM

Wow- this is just sooo bad in so many ways.

1) Check Preflop - that min raise against 5 opponents, when you are oop is horrid. Simply horrid.

2) Raise to the size of the pot or more on the flop. Again the minraise is so bad.

This hand could have played out so differently if you would raise a reasonable amount where appropriate. More players in the pot with you = more ways you are beat.
And quit sweetening the pot from the BB for no good reason. KJs is not good here. Check and be thrilled to see a free flop with all that money in the pot already.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:29 PM

Cheers guys,
I think im really underestimating the importance of position a lot of the time. what kind of hands would it be ok to bet with pre flop if im oop? If any?

Also, when raising im never really sure how much to raise.I know if theres a posible drawing hand on the board i should raise, but how much and why?
I think if i played this hand again id probably raise pot sized. but why is say 2/3 the pot or even more than the pot not good play?
Old 03-04-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cheers guys,
I think im really underestimating the importance of position a lot of the time. what kind of hands would it be ok to bet with pre flop if im oop? If any?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hands that are difficult to play multiway... For lower buyings and at these blinds... KQ+, AJ+, TT+

[ QUOTE ]

Also, when raising im never really sure how much to raise.I know if theres a posible drawing hand on the board i should raise, but how much and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Players usually go with odds. If you put them on draws.. 3/4 to pot size. If you feel uncertain about pot, learn how to control pot size (read FAQ or archives)

[ QUOTE ]

I think if i played this hand again id probably raise pot sized. but why is say 2/3 the pot or even more than the pot not good play?

[/ QUOTE ]

2/3 your giving them possible odds. Overpot? Smells weakness and no need to put more in order to win. Your risking more chips from your stack to win the pot... Stupid idea... Usually if people will call a pot size bet, they will call an overbet.