Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Question on game theory...

Another thing to think about is that game theory is "perfect defense" only against an opponent with no ability to read you. If you opponent knows you missed a draw, you'll get called regardless of the frequency you choose to bluff.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:54 PM

I think we agree that a game theoretical approach makes no sense unless you do not know your opponent very well, your opponent plays better than you and indeed he has no read on you. Therefore in drawpoker randomising using something external to the game is excellent. A bluff in holdem can be read a lot better by your previous actions and the current board and therefore game theoretical approaches should also take this into account. Therefore I think it is better to let judgement and intuition take over.

One could figure out a game theoretical optimum that is very specific. For example the optimal bluffing frequency against a tight player that bet preflop, on a rainbow flow with no cards higher than a J that was checked, etc... There is no point in finding such specific game theoretical optima IMO.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:24 AM

mvdgaag: A game theoretical poker strategy should not take previous hands into account. How do you mean, what does it mean? Do you even know what a game theoretical approach is?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
mvdgaag: A game theoretical poker strategy should not take previous hands into account. How do you mean, what does it mean? Do you even know what a game theoretical approach is?

[/ QUOTE ]

it should not ? then please try to google about "inductive game theory ?"

it is a modern game theoretic approach which explicitely takes focus on repetition and memory...
Old 03-03-2007, 10:06 AM

I wasn't talking about previous hands... I was talking about previous actions in the current hand.

In holdem, if you called a raise preflop, called the flop with two spades out there and raised a bet when the 3rd spade hit you are doing better bluffing a flush than when you took another course of action in the hand.

Your opponents see part of your hand, namely the board cards, and therefore can relate your actions to it.

My example was about the difference between holdem and drawpoker. In drawpoker you can bluff more easy, because you don't have to take the above into consideration. Here randomising when to bluff works well. In holdem however, it becomes far more important what your actions were that hand and the texture of the board.