Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Just saw 2001: A Space Odyssey.

[ QUOTE ]
Diebitter,

That actually is helpful. Now just explain one thing to me: what was that room about in the end?

(Bear in mind, I haven't seen this for at least 15 years. But wasn't there some strange room in the end?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it as the room he aged and died in. I assumed the aliens needed him to die to be reborn (or to be used to create the starchild), and would have too much respect to end his life early.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:35 PM

This really helped me.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This really helped me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was pretty cool.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:10 AM

The two movies that impressed me the most when I first saw them were 2001 and The Godfather. 2001 features perhaps the best use of music in movie history. Richard Strauss's Zarathustra accompanying the apes with weapons still remains electrifying. I can remember the goosebumps to this day and still get them when I see it.

On a personal note, I recently saw The Good Shepherd at the Arclight Theater here in L.A., which is the old Cinerama Dome, where I first saw 2001, and was pleased to see Keir Dullea with a role in The Good Shepherd.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:39 AM

2001 is almost like three movies in one or three grand themes in one. I would mention each but "Sorry Dave ...I can't do that"

Some random remarks,

Give that dog a bone scene:

The bone (both a weapon and a tool) floats up to become a space station. Grand music accompanies.

Tactile information scene:

In the scene were all the 'scientists' are by the monolith on the moon, even though he is encapsulated in the space suit Dr. Floyd must touch the monolith as if to confirm that it is real. The significance of this simple act is more reaching than most think, in my opinion.

HAL has an enchanting voice:

Artificial intelligence is a siren song.

I first saw 2001 when if first came out on a very large screen – standard in those bygone days of the grand theater. It is a film that stuck with you for days afterward; at least it did with me. Excellent film.

-Zeno, Space Being # 666.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:39 AM

I just saw this movie for the first time myself last night and really liked it...obv nothing I've ever seen b4 but from Wikipedia here it explains the last scenes of the movie which were kinda bizarre...

"The final act, titled "Jupiter, and Beyond the Infinite" begins with the revelation of a third monolith in orbit around Jupiter (again accompanied by the Ligeti "Requiem"), and of the Discovery One entering the Jupiter system and later rendezvousing with the artifact. As the planet and its moons and the monolith appear to align, Bowman again exits the Discovery One in an EVA pod. Bowman, in the EVA pod, now appears to travel across vast distances of space and time through a tunnel of colorful light and sound, in what is labeled the "Star Gate sequence". Ligeti's Requiem segues to Ligeti’s colossal orchestral essay "Atmosphères".

After passing over the landscape of an alien world, Bowman arrives in a Louis XVI-style room (the alien-sounding music of Ligeti's "Adventures" is heard through an echo chamber). As he walks about the room, he is depicted suddenly ageing, first in his spacesuit, then in an ornate dressing robe, sitting down to a well appointed meal. He accidentally knocks his glass on the floor, smashing it and breaking the silence. Looking up from the broken glass, he sees himself lying on what appears to be his deathbed, at the foot of which appears a fourth and final monolith. Bowman slowly reaches out to it and is seemingly transformed into a fetus-like being enclosed in a transparent orb of light. Bowman, now in the form of a "Star Child", approaches the Earth. In the film's final, ambiguous shot, he gazes at the world through new eyes, as "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" climaxes once more."

Also, goto youtube.com and search for "echoes"...pink floyd plays this song along with scenes from 2001 and its pretty sick, especially the part 3.