Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Re: BEAT: Loaned friend 10K, can\'t get it back now

[ QUOTE ]
[x] Not bad beat, villain played well

[/ QUOTE ]

lol vnh.

also, judge judy ftw
Old 03-03-2007, 02:47 AM

Pretend you have a family member or close friend dying of cancer and that without the 10k you can't play 10/20 to raise the money for treatment.

<font color="white"> Lori </font>
Old 03-03-2007, 02:49 AM

I could care less about the loss of a friendship as he was never a very good friend to begin with. I just want to know if legal action is possible, if so what are my options? I just want my money back or some part of the money back. As I said before, he has never denied owing me money, so that won't be a problem. What should I do?
Old 03-03-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I could care less about the loss of a friendship as he was never a very good friend to begin with. I just want to know if legal action is possible, if so what are my options? I just want my money back or some part of the money back. As I said before, he has never denied owing me money, so that won't be a problem. What should I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're after serious answers, the legislation forum is probably a better and more accurate bet.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:50 AM

Small claims court would only get you $7,500. However, you do not have to hire a lawyer and you would represent yourself. You could sue him for the full $10,000, but this would require you taking him to a higher court, thus requiring you to hire a lawyer.

If he has the money to pay he is required by law to pay you. However, if he doesn't have the money then you will need to spend more time and money trying to collect. If you do not have time to collect the money yourself, you may have to hire a collection agency. The agency may charge a fee of up to 50 percent of the money it collects.

With this being said, try settling with him outside of court. It's pretty obvious you made a loan with him. (I'm assuming you have some sort of e-mail, phone message, bank statement, or witness backing your claim if he was to deny the whole thing). Try getting in touch with him and tell him you are willing to take him to court if he does not pay and that it would be best to avoid this and just pay up.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:55 AM

suing him will *generally* only work if it's not a gambling debt. whether it's a gambling debt or not is determined by CA law unless you decide to sue him in the state that you live in (and he would have to have contacts there etc).

having said that, if it's not a gambling debt and you have witnesses, it sounds like a slam dunk and should be relatively easy to file.

also, small claims court limits vary by state so you should check the CA limit, as well.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're after serious answers, the legislation forum is probably a better and more accurate bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont understand why some threads get moved, but others don't.

adanthar you lazy [censored].

j/k.

no ban stick plz/
Old 03-03-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretend you have a family member or close friend dying of cancer and that without the 10k you can't play 10/20 to raise the money for treatment.

<font color="white"> Lori </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice Lori.

[ QUOTE ]

also, small claims court limits vary by state so you should check the CA limit, as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I originally said limit of $5,000 becuase that is the limit for my state. I just looked up Ca though and it is $7500.

meh, this is sorta bbv'ish and I have serious advice to give out, so I'm leaving it here. plus, the first 20 replies don't really fit in with legislation. in the future, if you guys want me to move a thread there, you should probably wish less death by grea