40 - 50% 8 10.67%
50 - 60% 5 6.67%
60 - 70% 2 2.67%
70 - 80% 6 8.00%
80 - 90% 6 8.00%
90 - 100% 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Al Gores a Hypocrite (Obviously)

[ QUOTE ]
It appears (although I didnt read the link) that Gore founded a company that helps the environment, dealing with the purchase of carbon offsets, and he is using that company. It is frequently said that we can have econonmic growth and a sane enviromental policy. I see nothing hypocritical there.

Gore drives a hybrid and uses green power in his home. When he needs to, he purchases carbon offsets (which is used to plant trees, preserve rain forest, etc.) so that his carbon footprint is neutral. Seems in line with what an environmental activist would do.

Gore flies commercially whenever he can, but sometimes uses a private jet. His electric bill is high. Maybe he does waste some here. He has home offices and security staff and does the offsets, but maybe he could cut back. Nobody's perfect, right? It seems like he is trying to follow something of a middle road here.

Gore is by far the most popular candidate, albeit "hypothetical", among the "netroots" (Daily Kos polls, for example). He opposed the war, and has been a very direct, harsh, and aggressive critic of a very unpopular administration and its policies. He just won an Oscar for an influential documentary. He got more votes than his opponent when he ran for President. Perhaps some of this criticism is based on the fear that the right wing has of Gore and of a potential Gore candidacy in 2008.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, more simply, it is because he is a hypocrit, and what is more fun than poking fun at a hypocritical politician windbag (and yes, I see the redundancy in my statement). Oh, wait, poking fun at hypocritical hollywood-types is right up there, too.

NCAces
Old 03-02-2007, 07:37 PM

"Or, more simply, it is because he is a hypocrit"

When you say "more simply", it sounds like you think it a relatively complicated concept that this "story" is a political smear. Okay, I will try to explain it to you.

The "think tank" which "broke" this story on the heels of Gore winning his Academy Award, the Tennesse Center for Policy Reaseach is headed by a member of the American Enterprise Institute, which has as its major contributor the oil industry and dismisses global warming. The story was picked up by Drudge, then Hannity, Fox, Beck, et al.

See, in politics, one side often benefits from making the other side look bad. This is done by exaggeration, innuedo, exaggeration, and lying. The notion is that people will be too lazy to look into the facts, and just react negatively to the story.

It seems a lot harder than it really is. I suggest you look at the facts that I provided you. Maybe then learn what a carbon offset is, you can Google it. I also think you should learn the definition of hybrid and green engery. That's a good place to start.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Or, more simply, it is because he is a hypocrit"

When you say "more simply", it sounds like you think it a relatively complicated concept that this "story" is a political smear. Okay, I will try to explain it to you.

The "think tank" which "broke" this story on the heels of Gore winning his Academy Award, the Tennesse Center for Policy Reaseach is headed by a member of the American Enterprise Institute, which has as its major contributor the oil industry and dismisses global warming. The story was picked up by Drudge, then Hannity, Fox, Beck, et al.

See, in politics, one side often benefits from making the other side look bad. This is done by exaggeration, innuedo, exaggeration, and lying. The notion is that people will be too lazy to look into the facts, and just react negatively to the story.

It seems a lot harder than it really is. I suggest you look at the facts that I provided you. Maybe then learn what a carbon offset is, you can Google it. I also think you should learn the defintion of hybrid and green engery. That's a good place to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an idea ... read the [censored] thread before posting. That's a good place to start. Everything you said in your first post and this one had already been said more than twice.

Who cares who broke the story ... facts are facts, and the facts are that Gore doesn't practice what he preaches.

NCAces
Old 03-02-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
facts are that Gore doesn't practice what he preaches.

[/ QUOTE ]Clearly you did not read the thread yourself.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:26 PM

Seems like the global warming crowd always likes to say "follow the money" of the opponents, and someohw ties everyone to big oil. So let's play that game. Let's tie Al Gore's financial interest in running a carbon-offset commercial to his activism on global warming. Seems like ol' Al could make a pretty penny selling carbon-offsets, unless his company is a non-profit. So is "An Inconvenient Truth" really just a commercial to sell Al Gore's company? Seems like he's just as guilty as everyone else by the "follow the money" standard.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like the global warming crowd always likes to say "follow the money" of the opponents, and someohw ties everyone to big oil. So let's play that game. Let's tie Al Gore's financial interest in running a carbon-offset commercial to his activism on global warming. Seems like ol' Al could make a pretty penny selling carbon-offsets, unless his company is a non-profit. So is "An Inconvenient Truth" really just a commercial to sell Al Gore's company? Seems like he's just as guilty as everyone else by the "follow the money" standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, Al Gore sure is a devious bastard. First we uncover that he uses electricity. If that's not bad enough, then we learn that a couple of decades ago, when he was holding hearings on global warming as a Congressman, writing books on the subject, etc etc, all the while he was sowing the seed for his company, creating an artificial market in the lucrative Carbon Offset racket for his company, founded in 2004, which no doubt makes billions if not trillions for him and his Hollyfag elite buddies.

Why can't Gore just profit from war and death, documented fraud to the tune of billions, like our present veep. That's really right livelihood, I mean in a dharmic sense. No, instead he founds this insidious environmental company, and uses not just its services...but as always, remember, Gore also uses...electricity.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have an idea ... read the [censored] thread before posting. That's a good place to start. Everything you said in your first post and this one had already been said more than twice.

Who cares who broke the story ... facts are facts, and the facts are that Gore doesn't practice what he preaches.

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

Here a better idea...read the [censored] archives. Facts are facts, and the fact is that Gore does practice what he preaches. As a matter of fact, I said so many more times than you said the opposite in this thread. In fact, I have it repeating over and over on my computer, "Al Gore practices what he preaches. Al Gore practices what he preaches." Its up to a jillion by now.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:35 PM

gees anatta, why dont you and Al save the planet get a room...lets try this, if in fact we humans are causing this calamity called global warming and if its true that its ok to puchase and offset your own carbon footprint, why dont we just plant enough trees for everybody and that way we could stop the icecaps from metling and the seas rising 20 ft.?????? oh yea,,,the earth has been around for 4.5-6 BILLION years and has survived, changed, adapted to far worse things than what may or may not be going on right now....drink up your kool-aid ......................
Old 03-03-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
gees anatta, why dont you and Al save the planet get a room...lets try this, if in fact we humans are causing this calamity called global warming and if its true that its ok to puchase and offset your own carbon footprint, why dont we just plant enough trees for everybody and that way we could stop the icecaps from metling and the seas rising 20 ft.?????? oh yea,,,the earth has been around for 4.5-6 BILLION years and has survived, changed, adapted to far worse things than what may or may not be going on right now....drink up your kool-aid ......................

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, pillsbarry if you say so...I always thought hybrids are kinda gay anyways.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think he doesn't need security? Extravagant for me is different than anybody else, as i don't think there is much of a line for me to judge, and if there is its going to be on a case by case basis. But you cannot argue any of this until it's shown that Gore is asking people to cut down their lifestyles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not claiming he's a hypocrite. I'm made comments critical of both sides in this discussion and supportive of both sides as I see bad and good arguments.

I agree that "excessive" consumption is not inherently bad. I'm all for it, in fact. Well, as long as it's *his* money. Taxpayer money I have a problem with, but that's a different thread. But the fact is, he isn't *forced* to accomodate that secret service detail. As for Gore asking people to cut down their lifestyles, I haven't seen any quote that shows him actually making this specific request (i.e. some call to flatly "conserve" rather than to "reduce use of carbon-emmitting energy" (though I've seen plently of people who *do* think consumption is itself inherently "bad")).

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody has shown him to by hypocritical yet, all they've shown is that he advocates cutting emmissions then wildly point to his large house and scream 'hypocrite' as loud as they can. For some reason, i was only able to see half of the Video NCAces linked, but there he even states that he's not asking people to cut down on their creature comforts. So i'm not sure where he is hypocritical in having a large house.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the house is hypocritical, but 10,000 sq ft IS extravagant. I'd bet a penny it's in the top 1% of home sizes in the US. World wide, probably in the top 0.01%

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people are claiming he's a hypocrite, so my response was mostly in response to them with provocation from you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I think we're pretty much in agreement, but with regards to his SS detail: Sure, he's not literally forced to take it, but given his exposure and history i think it's reasonable to let it slide.

His house is a subjective issue. I don't think it's over the top, you and others do. That's fine, you do have a point, but the level of outrage over it's size is far more over the top than the square footage they're complaining about, that's all i'm saying. I'd like to also point out that the average american house is probably in the top .05% of home sizes in the world. America in general is far beyond the mean of any other country's prosperity, so it doesn't say much when Gore's abode is that fraction of an ammount higher.