Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 02:25 AM

Default Player shows one card during the hand. What now?

Tonight at my home game (NL hold'em, cash game) we had a dispute when a player got heads up against an opponent on the river. The first player went all-in. The second player thought for a bit, then showed one of his cards to the first player (showing that he had trips), trying to get a reaction, but didn't declare any action.

A couple players argued that by showing his card, his hand was dead. Others disagreed, including me. This set off an argument about the rules for handling this situation. As the host, I ruled that the hand was still live, since we had never established any such rule at our game, and with a big pot at stake, I wasn't going to declare the second player's hand dead.

For the future, however I want to establish a house rule on this and make sure everyone understands the rules. After the game, I tried to find a rule on this in Roberts Rules of Poker or elsewhere and can't seem to find anything definitive.

Am I missing a clearly established rule on this anywhere? How is this handled elsewhere?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Player shows one card during the hand. What now?

In a cash game you can show any card(s) you want without any penalty. In a tourney you are usualy assessed a penalty after the hand is over for exposing cards. Note that your hand is not decalred dead.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:56 PM

Much like what Rottersod said, you cannot show any card(s) or state your hand during a live hand in a tourney. Doing so might get you a warning or a time out penalty. However, you hand is never declared dead.

In a cash ring game, you can play with your card(s) exposed for the whole hand if you want. You can also state your card(s) and either be lying or telling the truth, it doesn't matter.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:00 PM

Seems like that's the consensus. I did more research this morning and most rules say an exposed hand (by the player) is live...

So what's the logic behind the tourney penalty? Just out of curiosity...
Old 03-02-2007, 03:21 PM

Showing cards prematurely is only permitted when you are heads up. For a cash game you can simply be heads up in any hand and do this BUT in a tournament there must only be 2 players left in the entire tourney for this to be allowable.

Robert Rules Section 15 - Tournaments:
"22. Showing cards from a live hand during the action injures the rights of other players still competing in an event, who wish to see contestants eliminated. A player in a multihanded pot may not show any cards during a deal. Heads-up, a player may not show any cards unless the event has only two remaining players, or is winner-take-all. If a player deliberately shows a card, the player may be penalized (but his hand will not be ruled dead). Verbally stating one’s hand during the play may be penalized."
Old 03-02-2007, 03:49 PM

Be aware that some places/tourneys use the rule that the hand is dead, but this appears to be the less preferred rule.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be aware that some places/tourneys use the rule that the hand is dead, but this appears to be the less preferred rule.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point
Old 03-02-2007, 04:45 PM

In a tournament, the player should be penalized after the hand is completed -- by current TDA rules, the penalty should be one round of blinds and antes (i.e. one hand per player remaining at the table at the time of the infraction).

In a cash game, there is no penalty because the hand was heads-up and no one else's bottom line was affected.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That sure would be a bummer for the guy with the nuts who accidentally flips over a card while pushing his entire stack in the middle.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a cash ring game, you can play with your card(s) exposed for the whole hand if you want. You can also state your card(s) and either be lying or telling the truth, it doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close.

The "one player to a hand" rule prohibits all of the following:

-- advising about the possible holdings of other players
-- advising about one's own possible holding
-- advising about the possibilities presented by the board

Among other things.

q/q