Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 06:07 PM

Default AK, AQ, AJ flop miss

Everyone folds, I raise on the button with AK,AQ,AJ and SB or BB call and it's a HU situation.

The flop completely misses my hand but I bet out and SB or BB calls.

Now....

Should I bet the turn and check down the river? OR Should I check the turn and if SB or BB bet out, I call? OR Should I check the turn and if SB or BB bet out, I raise? or just fold the river?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: AK, AQ, AJ flop miss

depends on flop....... 789h flops are different than 722 flops... make ur decision based on the situation
Old 02-28-2007, 06:30 PM

sorry...lets just say the flop is rainbow, no flush no straight 8, 2, 6?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:16 PM

All of those lines are right sometimes. You are not going to get a more satisfying response because the answer is entirely dependant on the flop texture and your opponent. It is ok in lower stakes to make blanket assumptions about the meaning of your opponent's actions (i.e. always fold middle pair to a turn checkraise), but at high stakes you can't do that. This pretty much answers your "what book should I read" as well - just play and think, it is the best way to learn. FWIW I use Pokerstove to help with flop equity calculations when reviewing hands I've played.

Edited to add - when I say think that can be a group activity, i.e. post hands or AIM.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:32 PM

I personally Bet Turn, check river. I dont raise river if i whiff through and he bets river, because your trying to raise with the assumption it is a complete bluff, but you cant fold the river on that line either because it is super bluff inducing...
I am intrigued by this post and look forward to hearing further posts.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:34 PM

(this was my assumtption when answering, no to low coordinated flops that could potentially low pair or miss him as well...)

I do agree with the situational post, meaning how likely are we to get CRd based on villans agression? Will they always fold low pair? etc...
I look to that when im playing but error on the side of the bet bet check fold to any aggression.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry...lets just say the flop is rainbow, no flush no straight 8, 2, 6?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the flop and worry if you get called. There are not many draws here, unless the blind is playing stuff like 43, 45,75, and 97. In the scenario you describe they don't have the pot odds to call the flop bet with only an inside draw. So if they have not paired, they need the 75 or 97 to have a draw. This is unlikely. They have probably paired (or have a pocket pair) and are putting you on two big cards, with the intention of seeing it through with their little pair if no big cards show.

Check the turn unless you either improve or something that can scare them falls (of course, that will scare you too). Be prepared to fold to a river bet without improvement.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:04 PM

I think the default line is bet turn, check river behind if you dont improve. This way you dont give any free cards to beat you and put maximium pressure on your oppt. Many players will peel one on the flop and give up on the turn.

Betting the River is pointless: if he missed his draw he's gonna fold, if he has something he liked on the turn, you're gonna get looked up. The line 'check turn and call river'is terrible IMO.

The subject of missed flops is excellently explained by Bob Ciaffone in his classic "Improve your Poker" btw.
Goldmund
Old 03-01-2007, 11:36 PM

ibetwidpostion=my new favorite poster
Old 03-02-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ibetwidpostion=my new favorite poster

[/ QUOTE ]

i know i know...but i dont play online though