Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Contests, Lotteries, Winning Things: How Have You Fared?

[ QUOTE ]
Won WFAN's Super Bowl trivia for a trip for 2 -- tickets, airfare, hotel, car, plus a few other things -- to Super Bowl XXXV when my Giants played the Ravens. Heck, there's probably a handful of folks here who heard it.

Contest is a trivia game where contestants have to answer 4 trivia questions (and sometimes identify audio clips...that was actually my #4 that sent me) of increasing difficulty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilarious ... I won this for the Giants/Bills. Except that the prize allowed us to go to Tampa any weekend but for the Super Bowl, despite the fact that it was called the "Giants Road to the Super Bowl" contest.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:32 PM

I won a $50 gas card by swiping my card at Foxwoots

I dont have a car though
Old 03-02-2007, 03:32 PM

I won a raffle at work where I won a kids driveable Hummer. I gave it to me 5 year old son a week later for his birthday - he loves it.

Last night I went to the Kings-Ducks hockey game with center ice tickets I won in a golf raffle.

Saturday I'm going to win $283M in the mega millions lottery.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:38 PM

In the summer of 1985 or 86 I went to my first horse track at Aksarben in Omaha. The night before, in our hotel room, three friends and I all figured out our $2 Pick Six bets for the next day. I wrote up 10 bets using the various expert picks in the newspaper.

Next day, I was the only one in the running after the 4th race. I won the 5th race, and it got intense. Still remember my horse's name in the 6th -- Rinaldo. He was in 2nd the entire race, and pulled it out on the home stretch -- $22,000.

The beat? The Pick Six was progressive. It kept building each day until someone won it. The day before a guy won it for over one million....
Old 03-02-2007, 03:50 PM

If you combine my results from Keno (+200), slot machines(-50), lottery(-100), horse racing(-50) and pull tabs(+150) I am up money. Also up considerably more in blackjack and poker but those don't count.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:56 PM

When I was like 8 I won a grocery store drawing for the Campbell's soup kid watch. First thing I remember winning. Then my stupid neighbor won the f'ing pennzoil race car go-cart. At least I got to drive it a couple times.

As a broke ass college student my freshmen year they had this bingo game they played at halftime at basketball games. I won about ~350 since I split it with some other guy who hit bingo on the same number as I did.

My best win though was deciding to back this guy who used to answer a lot of questions on 2+2 a few years back. He always posted these really good detailed answers, so when he posted a backing proposal I took a shot, I mean he is a lawyer so he probably isn't trying to run off with my $500.

My wife is sure glad I did too. Raymer's win paid for my wedding and most of my wife's car.

Pancho
Old 03-02-2007, 04:19 PM

my local college radio is really exploitable, so i've won tons and tons of [censored] from them. warped tour the first five years of its existence, prolly like 40 concerts, 30 or so cd's, a guitar, laser tag- listeners vs staff(we destroyed them) and lots of other random crap.

what it is is if they say caller 30 wins, you call right away again and again and gauge how fast they are going and count along with them to match thier speed. they actually do count though, so for one contest you can be caller 6,13,24,and 30. bigger prizes get higher numbers- caller 75 or watev, but that means you have more times to sync up with thier answering and get yourself really close.

also, it's not just my mad skills that win me things, it's a college station with a weakish signal so you're really not facing much competition at 9:15 on a tuesday morning.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,

I'll give you a tip for radio contests. Be super excited when they answer the phone no matter what. Start asking if you won, tell them how much you want it, etc. Caller "20" or whatever is a sham and it is really caller "first person who sounds like they would make for good radio". Be that person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that?

I've called in for these types before, on major New York stations, both AM and FM, only to hear "Caller 7. [click]" when they were looking for caller 20 or whatever. You don't even have a chance to talk. I've even been told "Caller 94. [click]" before when they were looking for something in the hundreds.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:28 PM

at work one year, i won a coupon for a complete thanksgiving turkey dinner. it was the day before thanksgiving, so i was "wtf???, who doesn't have their TG plans already made?" no one at work wanted/needed it, so i ended up donating at a church in the neighborhood.

a couple of years ago, the entire section i was sitting in at a warriors game won free haircut coupons and pizza coupons.

i just got a table share of a 94K bad beat two days ago at AJ's.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
guids,

I'll give you a tip for radio contests. Be super excited when they answer the phone no matter what. Start asking if you won, tell them how much you want it, etc. Caller "20" or whatever is a sham and it is really caller "first person who sounds like they would make for good radio". Be that person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that?

I've called in for these types before, on major New York stations, both AM and FM, only to hear "Caller 7. [click]" when they were looking for caller 20 or whatever. You don't even have a chance to talk. I've even been told "Caller 94. [click]" before when they were looking for something in the hundreds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say that because that is how we and many other radio stations worked. Usually it would go "'Name of Radio Station', hello?" followed by listening to what they said. If they sounded interesting we'd talk for a bit then announce them as the winner or pass onto someone else.

Sometimes, the on air people would just do it the real way or do it the real way for a while then switch to just grabbing someone that they liked as they got close to the right number. It really depends. But sounding like you would make for good radio will increase your chances by a lot because I'd guess a very significant portion of radio winners are chosen in this manner. It obviously varies from station to station and market to market, but generally it is true.