Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: AQ river line check. 50NL

I am aware of the size of the small river bet, but often times any bet is good enough to get to a showdown at this level, especially with these players that show no aggression the whole session. I think I'm getting raised here regardless, because as already said, I expect him to have K9/A9 most of the time. With that being said, the river bet doesn't seem like the best option now, not because of it's size though.

I let a free card roll off on the turn for pot control, if a spade came off, then I re-evaluate. Otherwise I'm gambling for a blank turn, looking for value from the flop and river only. Turns out that the 9 may have not been the ideal card either. Having AQ against this guy on a Axx flop is great, but when this is the first time he has shown aggression over 200+ hands and I happen to be OOP on a AK79 board with AQ, my options become limited. With his line, this board, and previous history, two pair seemed very likely at the time.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: AQ river line check. 50NL

[ QUOTE ]
I let a free card roll off on the turn for pot control, if a spade came off, then I re-evaluate. Otherwise I'm gambling for a blank turn, looking for value from the flop and river only.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't really exercise pot control when you are OOP. If you only bet the flop and river then you are limiting yourself to one street of value the majority of time. If he's on a draw you give him a free card and will get no value on the river if he misses. I don't understand your hesitancy to bet against a player that is clearly a calling station.

As played you have to fold the river. There's a high probability you are beat, especially against a passive player. Even if you aren't, he's making a good play by recognizing your weakness.