Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 03:27 AM

Default Oscars claim to be green

So, I am watching the Oscars the other night and during Gore's speech he mentions that for the first time ever the Oscar's has gone green. Can you climate folks tell me what in the heck he means? Seriously, with all those people flying in from all over the place, all the limos and SUVs, all the parties, etc., they aren't seriously trying to tell us that they reduced their carbon print to zero, are they?

NCAces
Old 02-27-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Oscars claim to be green

Just in case you really care what he meant (I suspect you don't):
[ QUOTE ]
The greening of the Oscars included using recycled paper, doing an energy audit for the Kodak Theatre and serving organic food at the Governors Ball, said the Natural Resources Defense Council, the advocacy group that worked with organizers.

[/ QUOTE ](source)
Old 02-27-2007, 04:34 AM

Why would you suspect that? No doubt I am skeptical, but I wondered what the hell it meant and thought this was as good a place as any to discuss it based on previous threads.

Now, based on what you showed me, I guess I was right to be skeptical ... serving organic food gets me positive in the green. Jeez ... I really was expecting more. Hollywood never ceases to amaze me.

NCAces
Old 02-27-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you suspect that? No doubt I am skeptical, but I wondered what the hell it meant and thought this was as good a place as any to discuss it based on previous threads.

Now, based on what you showed me, I guess I was right to be skeptical ... serving organic food gets me positive in the green. Jeez ... I really was expecting more. Hollywood never ceases to amaze me.

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

What else were you expecting? The awards to be held in a solar-powered auditorium? Statues made of scrap metal? I agree it was a little over-hyped, but every little bit helps.

Also, a significant percentage of attendees opted against limos for hybrids.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they carpool? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2007, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out Celebs Who Claim They’re Green but Guzzle Gas. You have to scroll down the page a bit.

Originally I saw something like this in Newsweek but couldn't find the link in the thirty seconds I allocated for the effort. But this will do [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

~ Rick
Old 02-28-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out Celebs Who Claim They’re Green but Guzzle Gas. You have to scroll down the page a bit.

Originally I saw something like this in Newsweek but couldn't find the link in the thirty seconds I allocated for the effort. But this will do [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Its much worse than that. real energy costs of owning hybrids are higher than their conventional counterparts.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:53 PM

and in other news -

the Oscars considered revoking Al Gore's oscar for award winning documentary by a 5-4 vote,

but after examining historical precedence, they decided global warming would be ten times worse a mere seven years later if they did it, so they'll let him keep the thing -

whew
RB
Old 03-01-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt this for a second...celebs will jump on the bandwagon for whatever is in style that week. However, my point was they were green at least for 1 evening.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its much worse than that. real energy costs of owning hybrids are higher than their conventional counterparts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 2+2er "wacki" went into this in far deeper and more understandable detail about a year ago. I'm hoping somebody less tired and worn than I might be able to find the link.

~ Rick