Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 09:23 PM

Default $6.50 turbo: Short stack ITM

Hi, I'm new to sngs so I'd be grateful for some advice from you regulars. I'm using sngwiz to analyse my play and I seem to be making the same mistake regularly. Here's a hand I played earlier:

UTG (stack = 4650)
SB (stack = 6985)
BB (ME) (stack = 1865)

blinds are 200/400+25.

UTG raises to 800, I FOLD. Sngwiz tells me I should be pushing any two cards here, even 32 offsuit. I make this error A LOT, so any help will be appreciated.

My thinking was that the raise was only less than half of my stack, and even if I considered it a chance to go all in I'm only getting about 1.4:1 with a slightly below average hand. It turns out I could have pushed with anything, so clearly my thinking is WAY out on this.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: $6.50 turbo: Short stack ITM

Wtf? Of course you can't push anywhere near ATC, you're always getting called here.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:52 PM

You must have something set wrong in sngwiz. If you are planning to get all in with ATC, it would be a much better play to fold here and shove next hand if button folds.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:01 PM

This sounds stupid. You have no fold equity at all.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:14 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply folks.

It's possible I could be doing something wrong in SngWiz but I don't think so. No matter how tight or loose I set the raiser's opening/calling standards it still tells me to push. I actually had Q5o:

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t400 with t25 antes (3 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Button (t4650)
SB (t6985)
Hero (t1865)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Button raises to t800</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

Initially I thought it may be because Q5o is almost 50% against a random hand, and given he could be raising with anything I'm getting a coin flip with better than even money because of the antes. But it was also telling me to push with 32o even when I told the program his pushing range was tight, and 32o is only about 32% against a random hand anyway (about 2.1:1 against). I'm only getting about 1.4:1 if I push, so I just don't get it.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:06 AM

Ahh sorry, my mistake. Kevin you were right. My edge% was set to something really small (sngwiz seems to set this itself, don't know why) which was skewing my results.

I've just input an open% of 100% and a call% of 100% (which I thought was a reasonable assumption given the situation) it tells me to push with about 70% of my hands, not ATC. So pushing with Q5o would be correct if he would raise with literally any two cards.

But if he'll open and call with (say) 50% of his hands then I can only push about 35% profitably (Q9o would be the weakest queen I could push).

One thing I've just noticed is that Sngwiz doesn't let someone's call% be greater than their open%. I suppose the assumption is that someone will always call tighter than they'll push, but actually this might not be the case if a big stack is stealing from a short stack. For example he might want to steal with 50% but will always call because of the pot odds. The program won't let me give him an open% of 50% and a call% of 100% for example.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help.

Just one more question. What do most people set as their edge%? Is 0.5 standard?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2007, 12:13 AM

Since UTG is probably not folding to your push, set his Call% equal to his Open% and you will get the answer you expect.

Edit: I don’t think UTG is raising 100% here. Probably more like 30%.

The Wizard does not allow you to enter a call% greater than the open% because that’s not possible. If you open with, say, the top 30% and called any push then you would be calling with the top 30%.

This post discusses how the Wizard computes the default edge%.

http://sngwiz.com/index.php?option=c...amp;topic=46.0
Old 03-02-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Wizard does not allow you to enter a call% greater than the open% because that’s not possible. If you open with, say, the top 30% and called any push then you would be calling with the top 30%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, gotcha. I was also completely misinterpreting the meaning of the default edge, so thanks for the info.

It just goes to show that a tool is only as good as the person using it... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'll have to take a browse around your forum. Great product by the way.

Cheers