Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Kansas minimum wage is $2.65.....

In other words, how dare I correct you with the facts.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:41 PM

Go to a bank for a business loan.
Tell them that the only way for your business plan to succeed is to pay your employees $3.25 an hour.
I'm sure they will throw tons of money at you.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:41 PM

even if kansas does not have an ideal economy, it doesnt mean that the economy is going to improve if the minimun wage is increased the economy will get better.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the nonsense I have to fight daily.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're not going to subject the Politics forum to this kind of nonsense daily
Old 02-24-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While I don't expect my professors to believe the things quadsoverquads mentioned, because neither do I. I do expect them to allow for a certain amount on non-left wingism in their assignments. Example:

I was asked to write a position paper. Rules: No religious arguments because this is supposed to be "scientific", and no conspiracy theories. Ok while I may be offended by the religion comment, I can ignore that. Acceptable topics:

1. Should euthanasia be legalized to prevent unneeded suffering?

OK a position paper on euthanasia without religion? How does one do that?! and look how the question was worded! Can you see any bias there? Underlying premise? "Unneeded suffering" - Who is she to say what suffering is needed and what isn't? If I write a paper on whether or not euthanasia should be legalized, I give credence to the underlying FALSE premise that the suffering is unneeded.

This wasn't the only example. EVERY "acceptable" topic had this kind of slant to it. Out of about 30 topics, 25 were concerning humans destroying the environment, with big oil, big SUV's, big capitlism, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...not to rain on your parade there, but there are many ways to argue these points without resorting to religion. If you are really wanting to debate these points solidly, you will need to avoid religion, anyway, because you invalidate the logic of your position due to religion being an object of faith. So...as an example...euthanasia would be problematic for me because you are absolving someone of their right to choose what happens to their own bodies. Simple, non-religious argument against euthanasia. Also...I'm really missing the "slant" to which you're referring.

[ QUOTE ]
Completely different class and different professor, He would refer to any of Milton Friedman's theories as incorrect, and quiz us on the correct alternatives.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a class, not a statement of fact. You are already arguing that these professors are advancing their own agenda. At this point, you have to decide what's more important, passing the class, or taking a stand.

[ QUOTE ]
Management textbook - talks about how employees that are in touch with their environmental spirtuality have a "greater capacity for life"

Where do I buy this "greater capacity for life" stuff? WTF is that? I googled it. Can't find anything. Its just one of those phrases people use to justify their positions.

Indoctrination and brainwashing I tell ya. Luckily I am switching to a different university this coming quarter.

[/ QUOTE ]

So...God didn't create nature? It seems as though you are getting wrapped up in semantics on a regular basis. I grant you that your textbook has some hippie language to it. So what? Is that an indictment of you?

Also...good luck on your university switch. I went to one of the more conservative universities in the United States, and things were absolutely no different there. Universities are bastions of liberal thought these days, and you can either get all huffy, indignant, and self-righteous, or you can provide endless amusement for yourself logically disemboweling the asinine arguments you will hear. The choice is yours, Emperor.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:07 PM

other than service workers working for tips this minimum wage als probably covers thise working on piece rate base pay of 2.65 + x$ amount per unit of production.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:44 PM

Completely forgot about this thread.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So... they understand economics?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, one only has to look at the huge rapidly growing Kansas economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as the greater Kansas City area is concerned, yes, the economy is very rapidly growing.

[/ QUOTE ]

80% of the greater Kansas City area is in MO.

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: Nevermind.

BTW, are you from (or live) here?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cruise down Quindaro Blvd. and tell everyone how wonderful the Kansas Economy is. Trip Report pls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you just say: "Johnson County does not define the economy of the State of Kansas, sorry. "

Well, that works the other way around, too.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Also not mentioned in the debate about minimum wage at least the federal minimum wage. Many union contracts are based on the minimum wage. So an increase of $2 in minimum wage = and increase of $2 per hr in many Union jobs.
say the united brotherhood of widget workers negotiates a contract with widget works inc. the contrast would say something like and entry level widget worker starts out at $2.75 above federal minimum wage + 3% per year of service well in minimum wage increases and all widget workers get an accompanying increase.