Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 05:43 PM

Default AKo ... shoving PF

It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes I find myself with a light 3-better on my left. I've realized this happens a LOT less than I used to perceive it, but it still occurs.

These light 3-betters are also pretty aggro postflop, so rather than calling with AK and being stuck for the rest of the hand, I've just been 4-bet-shoving preflop. I realize this is quite an overbet (by like a factor of 2), but the alternatives (4-betting calling a shove, 4-betting folding to a shove) seem bad. Calling a 5-bet shove seems like we are always putting our $ in behind, but it seems way incorrect to fold AKo pf with so much money already in the pot. Thus, i've resolved to the 4b shoving (i also do with with AA and KK).

questions:

(1) does this seem ok?
(2) how wide would you make your 4-bet shoving range
(3) until how deep would you 4-bet shove AK (i.e. at what point do you stop shoving and start playing postflop)
Old 02-28-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: AKo ... shoving PF

1) Absolutely, and coldcalling 3bets with AK OOP is terrible
2) Completely, completely dependant on the villain and my position. Look at some HSNL hands to see what crap hands people will 4bet push with depending on the situations (Note: I'm NOT advocating this at uNL, but it's something to consider)
3) I think it depends on the 3bet size facing me, but probably around 150bb I'd stop. Also, if effective stacks are deep and someone is threebetting me light on my left, I'm leaving the table. I'm just not experienced or confident enough to play against a LAG deepstacked, and I won't need to be until I move up quite a bit.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:11 PM

Bump ... is this a dumb question?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:14 PM

I think they are great questions...but I think Xanta nailed it so maybe no one has much to add.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:38 PM

AKo is the biggest winner for me in my database.. that's really weird since I used to HATE AK.

I will cold call occasionally if I think I can outplay the guy post flop. I don't shove AK preflop very often as I don't like flipping for stacks and I seem to run into AA or KK about every time anyway. But if u are pretty sure they are 3 betting light it's an easy 4 bet shove. I have yet to see someone 4 bet shove.. or call a 4 bet shove with less than AQ though, and I've only seen that once, usually it's QQ+.. occasionally a JJ will sneak in there.

I had a guy that was 3 betting me from his BB every time I raised from the CO or Button. So I just started 4 betting him about 50% of the time. This was a pretty extreme example, so he'd win my $1 raise once, then I'd win his $4 3 bet.