Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 11:02 AM

Default What is my \"calling a raise preflop\" range ?

I'm trying to make the switch from 6max to Fr and I got serious leaks in my pf game.

Let say you are at a 5 handed table. Here is the situation at a NL200 table:
UTG is a solid TAG regular running 22/18/3 ($400+)
CO is a horrible loose passive preflop agro postflop player running 65/10/2 with $160. He is the reason why you are sitting at this table.
You are on the button with $200 to $400
SB is a weak/tight player running 15/9/1.5 with $200
BB is another good tag player running 18/16/4 with $200

Yesterday at least 3 of the 8 tables I was playing looked like that.

Preflop action :
UTG raises to $7
CO folds
Hero ?

With what kind of hand do you call here ?

Most of the time I fold. When I don't fold I 3bet here. I can 3bet any pp, SCs, AQo+, AJs+, some good suited one gappers (J9s). If I feel that my FE is low I usually simply fold most of them except pp. I sometimes calls with pp/SCs. The deeper we are the more likely I am to 3bet light. When I call to "mix it up", I really don't undestand what i'm mixing up as i'm only calling with "drawing hands" like SCs or pp. Should I "mix it up" sometimes calling with QQ or AKs in this position ? Of course most of the time the raising range of UTG is too wide to offer me good implied odds. When I'm calling with pp i'm likely to be a favorite and to be able to float, but then i'm offering terrific good odds to SB/BB to come for the ride and won't be able to play unless I hit my set. Of course from time to time I'll be able to steal a pot on the flop or the turn if it's a 3 way using my position but I don't feel like I'm "calling for value" if that means something.

I hate to call with likely dominated hands like KJo even with pos. I'm coming from gey land and that's a big mistake there. Thus if I called preflop an observative vilain might know on a flop like Q72r that I never got the Q and thus that I have an underpair/midpair or a set when I'm calling his C-bet. It seems to me that I'm quite easy to exploit with this kind of read. Firing a second barrel on the turn is likely to make me fold. A check with TPMK/JJ/TT from the vilain is also a good way to exploit it.

A long time ago I've seen in a post in MSNL/HSNL where somebody said that he was calling with low suited aces quite often in position... Sounds ok to you to call here with A2s (instead of folding/3betting) ?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: What is my \"calling a raise preflop\" range ?

If his range is really wide why don't you call and take the pot on the flop/turn?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:28 AM

Because I will not allways be able to take it, because calling a cbet on the flop is just a little bit cheaper than a reraise preflop and won't allow him to see if he can hit the flop: he raised $7, I reraise to $24 compared to I call for 7$ and call his cbet for another $12-$15. When he calls the reraise I still have pos+agression and can still win the pot UI...

When I was saying a "wide" raising range preflop, I meant compared to FR raising range : so I was thinking about a range like AJo+/Axs/KQo/SCs/pp for his raising range.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to make the switch from 6max to Fr

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean from FR to 6max?

Personnaly I cold-call with PP's if the original raiser is over-playing, if there are other callers, or if it will induce a call from the blinds. The point is set farming of course.
Sometimes medium-big SC's in position if the original raiser is weak, or if the pot can get multi-way without getting re-raised.

But as a general rule I don't like cold-calling.
I wouldn't call with Axs: not enough flush potential and dominated when it hits.

Your 3-bet range is quite wide, in my opinion. But I must revise my own game regarding this, as I'm only 3-betting AK, AQs, JJ+.. and not always.
As an exception, I'm 3-betting lightly min-raises, in an attempt to "correct" those guys.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:59 PM

Building a big pot pre-flop with pp's and sc's destroys the implied odds these hands have. Even if you miss, you can still win the pot by floating on flops that likely missed him.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:09 PM

why is light-3betting a TAG's UTG raise a good play?
Old 03-01-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is my "calling a raise preflop" range ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a jeopardy answer.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is my "calling a raise preflop" range ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a jeopardy answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lol'd at that. I think its the fact that he is opening with a wide enough range that he is folding to a 3-bet most of the time because the stacks aren't deep and he will be out of position.