Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Hobbies

I dont think anyone has started a hobby thread?? I say this thread isnt so much a tell me what you do thread, but a thread where we can post quick rundowns/tutorials of what we do.

My main hobby is probably hacking, computer security, hardware hacking, phreaking etc. Here is a current hardware project that I plan on taking up this weekend:

http://www.hack247.co.uk/2006/06/01/...l-open-source/

becuase I dont feel like spening a ton on building a new PC, I think this will be pretty sweet. I plan on spending less than 200$ total, and if need be upgrade the HD to something bigger later on.

this will let you turn your xbox into a tivo:

http://www.mythtv.org/

which is the best feature imo, along with d/l NES and Atari roms and playing super mario bros, and punchout.

The site that that link is found is a great site with a bunch of projects similar to that.

hackaday.com

i-hacked.com

are also two that are similar.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Hobbies

wargaming - though these days it's mostly computer wargames -

Hearts of Iron 2 rocks - at least now I have an opponent that plays back fairly decently - in the old days, out in NW Montana, I had to play both sides by myself - but it entertained me for hours on end -

oh yah, I play in a band - almost forgot - haven't had a gig for awhile

rb
Old 02-28-2007, 11:25 PM

3-5th grade: skateboarding, soccer
4-6th grade: street hockey, soccer
6-7th grade: shop lifting, soccer
8-10th grade: model rockets (started as a class project in 8th grade), soccer, wrestling
9-12th grade: recreational drinking and pot, soccer, wrestling

college < 21y/old - partying on campus, soccer, weightlifting
college >= 21y/old - partying off campus, soccer, weightlifting
Old 02-28-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think anyone has started a hobby thread?? I say this thread isnt so much a tell me what you do thread, but a thread where we can post quick rundowns/tutorials of what we do.

My main hobby is probably hacking, computer security, hardware hacking, phreaking etc. Here is a current hardware project that I plan on taking up this weekend:

http://www.hack247.co.uk/2006/06/01/...l-open-source/

becuase I dont feel like spening a ton on building a new PC, I think this will be pretty sweet. I plan on spending less than 200$ total, and if need be upgrade the HD to something bigger later on.

this will let you turn your xbox into a tivo:

http://www.mythtv.org/

which is the best feature imo, along with d/l NES and Atari roms and playing super mario bros, and punchout.

The site that that link is found is a great site with a bunch of projects similar to that.

hackaday.com

i-hacked.com

are also two that are similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

guids, how did you get so awesome? my internet mental picture of you is really close to what i wanted to be when i was 13.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:37 PM

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that at 25 I still have the maturity of a 13 year old.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that at 25 I still have the maturity of a 13 year old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Statements like this one would cast doubt on that.

My hobbies now tend to blend into second jobs or potential careers. These days I shoot photographs and am in culinary school.

I've always been very suspect of people who had no hobbies.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:56 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHXgOxSGznE

How to crack a master lock with math!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:22 PM

Wow, those are some pretty sweet links, guids. I'll likely try that out with my old xbox.

It kindof reminds me of a website called the Anarchist Cookbook (easily found by googling). It explains how to pick locks, get free money out of change machines, make bombs, etc. Not really my thing, but it's semi interesting.

On the topic of this thread, my hobbies include lacrosse, skiing, and poker. I'm also really starting to get into cooking, as well.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:34 PM

Just picked up a new hobby I am really excited about. Not even sure what to call it exactly, but I use the program Reason to build music. Reason is a program that mimics a studio rack and allows for the use of samplers, mixers, etc. I bought it with a USB keyboard (which I really suck with) and am still learning all of the features of it, but it's a great program and a ton of fun.

Wiki explanation of the program
Old 03-01-2007, 01:24 PM

my newest hobby is learning classical guitar. Started playing when I was 13 had a few rock bands with friends, started playing jazz when I was 16 and now because I get university-sponsored lessons from Colin Mcallister. Decided to try out classical because I figured that at the very least, the technique would give a huge boost to my playing in jazz. I also think Classical is way easier to teach and of course my particular teacher's expertise is classical so I may as well take advantage of that.

Colin playing some contemporary guitar music:
http://home.sandiego.edu/~cadler/aud...erPulveris.mp3

I don't really like that piece but only example of his playing I could find. He's nuts.

Right now I try to play 2 hours a day, one hour technique stuff one hour learning pieces. Classical guitar technique is very, very demanding.

If anyone wants to get started playing classical guitar they should:

1) learn to read music, where the notes on guitar are

2) grow out and shape fingernails on the right hand. May sound silly but this is actually very important if you want to have a good consistent sound. It took me about a month or two of growing out my nails before I had what I needed. Then you shape them as discussed in Pumping Nylon.

3) get two technique books:

Pumping Nylon and Kitharologus.

4) start learning songs. I am currently working out of book 5 of the
Royal Conservatory of Music Guitar Studies and Etudes series.

Some cool contemporary songs I can't play:

Leo Brouwer: Paisaje cubano con campanas

Ernesto Cordero: Danza del Cimarron (starts at :50ish)

Nikita Koshkin: Usher Waltz

Ronaldo Miranda: Apassionata