Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Help me understand OOT ( Warning boring Global warming issues )

[ QUOTE ]
http://junkscience.com/ gives you a lot of ammo to fight GW hysteria.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually mentioned that site.. and she goes, "Now you're gonna believe something you read on a site called "Junkscience" She also told me to check out this article in National Geographic
I read both, I hate the fact that the whole GW issue has become a BIG useless debate.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Oil

Short Answer: We will NEVER-NEVER-EVER run out of oil.
We may run out of CHEAP oil but as long as their is a demand for oil, there will ALWAYS be oil.

1st: You can take coal and add hydrogen to make oil. This technology was developed by Germany during WW2 and SASOL of South Africa uses this method to make oil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasol

2nd You can make oil from oil shale.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale

There are two main barriers from more widespread use of using coal and oil shale to meet our energy needs.
1. Mideast oil is cheaper.
2. The high capital cost of building a coal-to-oil plant.

I've seen claims that you can profitably build a coal-to-oil plant if oil stays above $40 a barrel. The risk is if you build a coal-to-oil plant and the price falls to below $40, then the company that builds the plant risks bankrupcy... In South Dakota they built a coal-to-methane plant and they are making money hand-over-fist. And the USA has plenty of coal and oil shale....

The OPEC cartel has to be very careful to keep the price of oil from going too high otherwise they risk competition from companies like SASOL. If the price of oil gets too high, entrepreneuers with deep pockets can make some nice bank by building a coal-to-oil plant.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Oil

^^ thanks Felix..

Btw.. any insight in the surge of prices for Uranium? Arguement I heard is that since OIL is running out everyone is in the process of building nuclear reactors.. China and India have 7 in the works..
Old 02-28-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://junkscience.com/ gives you a lot of ammo to fight GW hysteria.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually mentioned that site.. and she goes, "Now you're gonna believe something you read on a site called "Junkscience" She also told me to check out this article in National Geographic
I read both, I hate the fact that the whole GW issue has become a BIG useless debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is stupid, the site's name doesn't have anything to do with whether the content is accurate or not. She sounds close-minded, so just blow her off or give her a donkey punch or something.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:06 PM

Thread is useless without wacki.

OP, this is actually a reasonably good place to ask this question, since a few posters are way into this stuff. There's a good discussion on this that Borodog start in the El Diablo forum.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:06 PM

They should confiscate the profits of big oil, and force them to do research to stop global warming, and finding alternate energy sources.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Oil

[ QUOTE ]
Btw.. any insight in the surge of prices for Uranium? Arguement I heard is that since OIL is running out everyone is in the process of building nuclear reactors.. China and India have 7 in the works..

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously you can't use uranium to fuel your car so I would argue the price of uranium is largely independent of the availability of oil. Coal-fired electricity plant dirties the air and upsets people like Al Gore who claims CO2 causes global warming. Nuclear generated electricity keeps the air cleaner and its waste comes in a very compact form.

I think nuclear energy is becoming more acceptable these days as oppose to the 1970s where there was a lot of hype of the dangers of nuclear power.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Help me understand OOT ( Warning boring Global warming issues ) NSFW

[ QUOTE ]
This morning I met a friend for brunch. She is one of those "I know it all and even when Im wrong you better agree with me" type. Somehow we ended up having a discussion on Global warming. She recently watched Al Gore's movie.. and jumped on the bandwagon that MAN is evil we're causing the build up of greenhouse gases and we're all going to die in 10 years !! So I was trying to explain to her that its not as bad as he makes it seem out to be, infact he's wrong about a lot of things.

Second thing we got into an arguement about is OIL. Whether we're running out or the so called "shortage" is actually just BIG OIL's way of controlling supply and demand.

Anyway Im looking for your opinion on these two issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

What shortage?

Global production = 85 million barrels per day.
Global consumption = 84 million barrels per day.
Global reserves = 1.3 trillion barrels (proved reserves)
Old 02-28-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Under the Texas moonshine

[ QUOTE ]
We will NEVER-NEVER-EVER run out of oil.
We may run out of CHEAP oil but as long as their is a demand for oil, there will ALWAYS be oil.

[/ QUOTE ]How can a finite mass be also infinite?

Are you drunk?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Under the Texas moonshine

[ QUOTE ]
How can a finite mass be also infinite?

Are you drunk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mickey,

You may already have noticed; there are shockingly large numbers of inebriated citizens walking around out there. Many have latched on to this "finite things are infinite" thingy. I'm wondering if it's psychedelics.