Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 04:39 PM

Default 50nl - flopped trips, reraised on turn

Hey all. This is my first post on these boards. I'm a donkament player trying my hand at cash for a bit. Would appreciate comments on the following hand, mainly on what your standard line is here and whether the call preflop is any good against a solid tag (sorry, no pokertracker stats)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($48.50)
Hero ($36.90)
SB ($30.60)
BB ($11)
UTG ($38.40)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2.50, SB calls $2.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($8) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1</font>, UTG calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4.5</font>, SB calls $3.50, UTG calls $3.50.

Turn: ($21.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8.5</font>, SB calls $8.50, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $17</font>, <font color="#CC3333"> Hero?????
Old 02-28-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: 50nl - flopped trips, reraised on turn

If UTG actually is solid and TAGgish, then no, it's not really a very good PF call, as you'll be hard pressed to get value from the A, and then it just plays like a worse suited connector, with the only good side being that your flush draw is to the nuts. Also, you're a little short right now, so that hurts it a bit more.

Raise the flop much harder. I'd kick it up to 10 or 11. That's a pretty drawish board, so there's a fair amount that should want to come with you, and there are a lot of cards that will force you to slow down or make it tough to get paid.

After the turn action, I'm very puzzled as to what's going on. SB isn't going to fold, most likely, nor is UTG. Maybe one of them has AQ hearts, but I'm not holding my breath. Were I to guess, I'd say SB has a flush draw, and UTG has a boat, 99, QQ, and possibly T9s and QTs. JTs is also possible but a little less likely for him to play this way, in my opinion. If that's true, you're drawing near dead, and so you could fold. It's a very fishy looking line, but the only things I think you're beating right now are JT and maybe AA. EDIT: Oh yeah, and A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q :heart. You're getting a pretty decent price, it would appear, but you're playing for the rest of your stack if you call, so take that into account when figuring your odds.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:07 PM

gump - I don't understand how UTG Tag could have QT JT or any hand with a ten in it. Last I checked TAG opening standards are like AJs+ 22+ AQo+...?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:10 PM

sb was pretty wild so i thought he could have as little as a straight draw but utg concerned me. I guess a solid utg probably only minraises on a boat so a fold looks in order here.

I pushed here which looks really bad now. Is this just spewage here?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:13 PM

honestly 999TT is the only thing that makes sense. I can't see him flat calling the flop with QQ-AA. I think if he flat called with QQ then hit turn its probably more OK to get it in than if he had 999TT all along because a good tag wouldn't play JJ++ like that on that board.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:25 PM

Turns out utg had QQ and he stacked me coz i am a donk. As a rule would you expect a good player raise on this flop and then shut down to any sort of serious action in utg's position?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gump - I don't understand how UTG Tag could have QT JT or any hand with a ten in it. Last I checked TAG opening standards are like AJs+ 22+ AQo+...?

[/ QUOTE ]

From UTG? Perhaps. I tend to think that my stats are a little TAGgy but I'd occasionally open those things from UTG just because they're a bit unexpected. I don't do it all the time.

It certainly doesn't seem like a line that a "good TAG" is going to take anywhere. My main point was more that it's hard for me to see hands that we beat playing it this way.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From UTG? Perhaps. I tend to think that my stats are a little TAGgy but I'd occasionally open those things from UTG just because they're a bit unexpected. I don't do it all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]Just want to rectify this response, I also mix it up with those kind of hands sometimes from EP, rarely of course but nonetheless.