Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Are you smarter than a fifth grader?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This show reminds me of Jay Leno's "Man on the Street" and Street Smarts. Those shows never cease to amaze me. FWIW, I got the last three right, but I have no idea when Columbus Day is. I'm not a government employee or a fifth grader.

And Foxworthy is the host? Heh.

http://www.fox.com/areyousmarter/

I played the trivia game, got 9 of 10 right.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]
9 out of 10 here. A "gross" of pencils? Wtf?

edit- Also knew the 2,3, and 4 from the OP. Screw obscure holidays that no one celebrates.

[/ QUOTE ]

The quiz has an answer wrong, the moon does give off it's own light. Humans do too (in the infrared spectrum). Obv. we see the moon because sunlight is reflected off of it, but technically it gives off its' own light.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:34 PM

of course they mean visible spectrum
Old 02-28-2007, 03:38 PM

oh, what else is funny about this [censored], is that these might be questions 5th graders should know, but Im betting 90% of them don't.

All these stupid people you see walking around, guess what, they were stupid in the 5th grade too.

My aunt teaches 6th grade and ive helped grade papers and stuff before, and its shocking how uneducated most of the kids are.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:06 PM

These don't all seem like 5th grader level... some are no brainers... some I have no idea. FWIW I'm 10 years removed from high school... here are my answers. My Canadian history is foggy at best...

1) Klondike Days
2) Fur
3) no idea
4) 1987
5) no idea
6) reciprocity (sp?)
7) CP railway
8) WWII

I will give you some equally easy questions from another perspective that any Canadian 5th grader would know (Canadian)

1) The Canadian north was transformed in the late 1890s when some 100,000 prospectors poured into the Yukon hoping to "strike it rich". What name was given to this colourful period?

2) The Hudson’s Bay Company is the world’s oldest chartered trading company, having been in business for 335 years. What product gave this company its start?

3) Canada has experienced political scandals throughout its history. In 1873, John A. Macdonald’s government was brought down when it was discovered he awarded lucrative railway contracts in exchange for campaign funding. What was this scandal called?

4) When did Canada eliminate the one dollar bill and replace it with the Loonie coin?

5) What major Canadian economic policy of Pierre Trudeau’s government sparked the creation of a bumper sticker proclaiming “Let the Eastern bastards freeze in the dark?”

6) In 1911, Wilfrid Laurier’s Liberals lost the federal election because of their support for what agreement with the United States?

7) After more than a decade of construction and a string of political scandals, what great Canadian engineering feat was completed in 1885 with the hammering of the Last Spike?

8) What major historical event brought over 1,000,000 women into the Canadian workforce?

You guys are working under the assumption that there is one basic set of knowledge and curriculum that everyone should draw on because that's what is taught in US schools.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-28-2007, 04:15 PM

That chick should have been a contestant on "is your ass bigger than a fifth grader"
Old 02-28-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

http://www.fox.com/areyousmarter/

I played the trivia game, got 9 of 10 right.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]
9 out of 10 here. A "gross" of pencils? Wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

same, and i missed the same stupid question
Old 02-28-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The implication that a 5th grader is smarter than an adult just because he knows a few random facts is retarded. Give the 5th grader a simple algebra problem and he/she probably won't be able to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

and based on the triangle question, you think an adult could?

don't be so literal - nobody is actually saying 5th graders are smarter than adults; clearly they are not as wise. but guess what - there are a lot of things smart 5th graders know that the average adult clearly doesn't. you can call them useless trivia or whatever you want, but the fact still stands.

and yes it's a stupid show and horribly structured - i don't think anyone disagrees with those points - but it still opens your eyes a little. mine anyway.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) The Canadian north was transformed in the late 1890s when some 100,000 prospectors poured into the Yukon hoping to "strike it rich". What name was given to this colourful period?

[/ QUOTE ]
Gold Rush

[ QUOTE ]
2) The Hudson’s Bay Company is the world’s oldest chartered trading company, having been in business for 335 years. What product gave this company its start?

[/ QUOTE ]
Beaver pelts/fur

[ QUOTE ]

3) Canada has experienced political scandals throughout its history. In 1873, John A. Macdonald’s government was brought down when it was discovered he awarded lucrative railway contracts in exchange for campaign funding. What was this scandal called?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pacific Scandal
[ QUOTE ]

4) When did Canada eliminate the one dollar bill and replace it with the Loonie coin?

[/ QUOTE ]
1975 (Run good guessing random year)

[ QUOTE ]

5) What major Canadian economic policy of Pierre Trudeau’s government sparked the creation of a bumper sticker proclaiming “Let the Eastern bastards freeze in the dark?”

[/ QUOTE ]
Some stupid liberal policy

[ QUOTE ]

6) In 1911, Wilfrid Laurier’s Liberals lost the federal election because of their support for what agreement with the United States?

[/ QUOTE ]
No idea.

[ QUOTE ]
7) After more than a decade of construction and a string of political scandals, what great Canadian engineering feat was completed in 1885 with the hammering of the Last Spike?

[/ QUOTE ]
National Railroad (forget the actual name)

[ QUOTE ]

8) What major historical event brought over 1,000,000 women into the Canadian workforce?

[/ QUOTE ]
WWI
Old 02-28-2007, 05:54 PM

I haven't read this whole thread. Just wanted to question who the target audience is for this show.

My kids - who are 12 and 10 years old - eagerly watched the show. I'm not sure what the 12 year old thought, but my 10 year old loved it. She thought it was quite funny and said that the show made her feel smart.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The implication that a 5th grader is smarter than an adult just because he knows a few random facts is retarded. Give the 5th grader a simple algebra problem and he/she probably won't be able to do it.

'Smarter' is also an ambiguous word...sure, I might be 'smarter' than stephen king in science or math...but in regards to writing, no way.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the average adult could? The avg adult couldnt multiply 9 times 7 without a calculator let alone do algebra. Sad but true.