Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 08:30 PM

Default Re: games you regret not beating

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sonic The Hedgehog 2... I could never figure out how to save the game so I always had to start over each session.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can save, I'm playing it on the Sega Genesis Collection for PS2. You can save in that though because they have save states.

[/ QUOTE ]

The save function only started in Sonic 3, yes.

I really don't know - I've beaten most of the games I've played at some point, and those that I've missed I'm playing through at the moment. I'd have to say the original Wipeout I guess, it was the first game I bought for the PS and one of my favourite racers ever, but I could never beat the last track.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:52 PM

Rocky for the Sega Master System. As a little kid I could never beat Drago. Best I could do was knocking him down once but it was at the end of a round. I still remember the knockdown!

Top Gun for NES, another one that was too tough for me then.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:47 AM

final fantasy 9.....i cant beat it
Old 02-28-2007, 10:05 AM

Final Fantasy VIII, got 80 hours in and realized I'd have to do about another 20 hours of leveling up to be able to beat the last part and gave up.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:39 AM

I spent about 10 hours trying to defeat Sephiroth in FFVII. Never accomplished it and never went back and tried again.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Blaster Master, which I thought I heard wasn't all that hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got to the final level so many times but could never make it to the end boss before running out of lives [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2007, 02:23 PM

There are several games I wish I had time or put in the effort to really figure out the games and beat them. Ultima III: Exodus and Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar on the NES come to mind.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Dragon Warrior VII for the PS1. I had over 150 hours invested in this behemoth, including hours upon hours of mindless leveling. I got through the last dungeon, which is a huge long bitch, and got killed by the final boss after fighting him for about a half hour. I was so burnt out I couldn't touch the game for about a week. During that week my memory card erased all my data.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Final Fantasy VIII, got 80 hours in and realized I'd have to do about another 20 hours of leveling up to be able to beat the last part and gave up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing happened to me. I went through the whole game without really learning the junctioning system. But I studied FAQ's and went for it. It did take 20+ hours, but it was very enjoyable, not least of all because I was playing in my friend's room who would occasionally make comments. I would not have wanted to do it without the FAQ's.

This is a problem with most console RPG's IMO. The difficulty curve for the whole game is smooth and you rarely have major problems. But then all of a sudden the last boss is impossible if you weren't heavily leveling up. That's [censored] because you didn't need to level up for anything else in the game.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are several games I wish I had time or put in the effort to really figure out the games and beat them. Ultima III: Exodus and Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar on the NES come to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ultima III I couldn't even get remotely close to figuring out when I was a kid.

Ultima IV, I had all the stones, all the runes, the Book, Bell and Candle, the Key, all of that stuff, but never figured out that the way you were supposed to become an Avatar of Justice/Honesty was by overpaying the blind reagent dude (how exactly is that just or honest?) and so didn't finish. Also, my cartridge got kinda glitchy and I think my character eventually got deleted.

For any of this stuff, I think "regret" is too strong a word. Games that lost my interest before the end I usually didn't like well enough to mind not beating them.