Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Boston Card Clubs?

I have to believe the lack of elevator service at night is the only thing keeping this place from being subject to a raid [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

pretty soft nl game, and buying-in for $300 makes it much more playable than at the 'woods.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:19 PM

I won't be back. The guy running the place plays in his own tournament, and was shuttling racks of black tourney chips around while he played. Tourney chips are the cheap plastic $0.10 ones that anybody can bring in. You just don't play in your own games, that's absurd.

Tourney vig is excruciating, and oh man are they asking to be busted. I got a phone number, called it, and they told me right where they were. No security. Poor cash handling and prodecures.

However, the games and players were fun. Dealers were good. Everyone is college aged. It could be a cool place, but they lack any shred of professionalism. It's much like paying a rake to play in your own dorm room.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:17 PM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

ya the dude (greg) from MIT that ran the game was double raking and stealing big denomination chips out of large pots in the big NL game an example in a pot is that 2 big stacks would go at it, he would take the rake (3$), during the pot he'd be playing with the chips and making random change and end up taking some quarters in his palm, then he would rake again at the end, net rake 56$... and some of the pots were 3-5k in a 2-5 NL game so nobody would notice those chips gone in the sea of red

we know this because he told a dealer to take extra rake who later told a few of us right before the game ended running so we never got to do anything

really a shame basically

also the braintree game has been robbed/busted multiple times, stay out of that place if you value your money, same deal with that chinatown game, i can't see how it doesn't get taken down soon

Foxwoods is opening a new room, thats safer
Old 02-19-2006, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See this post about Chinatown room:

Boston Poker Club

Personally, I think this place is definitely headed for a raid and would rather play online or at FW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've dubbed this place "The Stable".

It smells bad, and it's full of donkeys.....
Old 02-21-2006, 11:42 AM

Start asking around some of the north shore Yacht Clubs. I know that Sun/Mondays there are some floating games...
Old 02-26-2006, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Boston Card Clubs: Review

There are a few private games run around the Boston Scene. The most notable is the Chinatown room or Boston Players Club. When the place is full it does smell. They keep the windows closed for good reason, but people smell, whatever, they are good for action every day of the week. They are starting to spread a new game, 1/3 NL which plays the FW 2/5. I've had the opportunity to speak with one of the managers, I don't know how they enforce security, but the place is connected, and they have put some safe guards in place and as the manager put it, "you don't rob chinamen in Chinatown". As for some of the rediculous statements about their tournaments. The vig is $10, everything else is just speculation, and on one night - they have a college game - they only take $5.

I personally liked the place, good group of guys, friendly to new comers, but they've started turning away people - or maybe they were just really drunk. It's nothing like a real poker room, but the past few times I've showed up they've had 2 tables going, and sometimes a 3rd table with the mixed game. I like the guys who run it and it's fun playing with them, but it's they don't play in every game, they really only play to help start a game, and get up once the game gets going.

There's another private game in Chinatown, but it's a much smaller arrangement, they are by invite only, and while run well, they keep in quiet, so you don't the late night drunks like the other place. I stop by when they're offering a game particular to my liking.

The last place is really new on the North End. No action yet, run more like a homegame too. I don't know whether or not I like it yet, because it feels shady, the guys who run BPC, run it like a business, the guy who runs this place runs it like a homegame. Eh...
Old 02-27-2006, 01:19 PM

Greg was stealing?!?!?! Jesus, my world is crumbling around me. Who told you? was it L? How long was he doing this? Was it all the time or just at the end? I guess if he was hard up for cash at the end what with getting kicked out and all and just did it then I could MAYBE understand, but if he was doing this all along..... goddamn, i always thought he was a good guy.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:56 PM

Myself and another guy from this site are thinking of playing some live games this weekends and have the same question

I spoke with one of the guys running BPC today. Theyve been in business for a year or two. One of the hosts is also the dealer (hmm..). I asked about security and he said not to worry because there are cops who play there too...not sure if this adds to the allure or draws from it. Tourns are $30 entry fee with $10 vig...i did not ask about the aforementioned smell.

It's literally 20 minutes from my house so here are my options...

(A) Two hours back and forth to sit in a smokey NL cash game with $10/hour rake with old people talking about 'wampum cards' while they place more metal chachkees on their chips stacks

(B)Twenty minute train ride to chinatown to play in a smelly questionably-honest-dealer-hosted-two table NL tourn with college kids and cops and 30% vig

http://poker.meetup.com/880/about/
Old 02-28-2006, 02:41 AM

A is better and it's not even close. And I hate Foxwoods. And love underground card clubs.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:58 AM

wait is (A) supposed to be foxwoods? why is it smokey? what's a chachkee?