Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: tell us about your job

What do you do? Quantitative Analyst for Long/Short Global Hedge Fund

Do you like it? Kinda. It ranges between low stress and easy to high stress and impossible, as much depends on mood/success of principals.

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? Well-suited: Majored in a combo of math, stats, and comp sci. Use all three, esp comp sci for data analysis and risk templating. Can figure complicated stuff out. Able to understand what my principals want most of the time. Poorly-suited: Somewhat lazy, will drift if not on critical project.

What kind of people do best in your work? Focused, math and comp sci saavy peeps. But you can't just be a nerd as there's a lot of nuanced personal interaction in a high stress situation.

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? Some kind of quant background, preferably with CS. I jumped in straight from college (though I went to a top 5), so experience isn't neccessary.

What is a typical day like? 6-4, M-F. Get in, surf/email, run a few risk screens. Code some VB. Talk to manager in 10 minute meeting. Eat catered lunch at desk. Fix someones computer problem. Mess around on BB. Read about Monte Carlo sims. Try to implement it, screw up. Run some screens for the analysts. Screw around with my RSI model.

What kind of problems do you encounter? Waking up on time. Figuring out "correct" way to do something, such as a VaR calcualtion, or more importatnly, the meaning/usefulness of it.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? Getting discouraged when project I've worked on gets tossed by boss.

How much do you make? $70k plus large bonus depending on firm performance.

How much can one expect to make in your position?
Prob like 50kish entry to a 1M plus for someone with a working model. Entire firms are run by quants. Check out DE Shaw. Head dudes are all quant analysts and prob pull 100M plus.

Mike
Old 02-27-2007, 01:54 PM

What do you do? I'm taking a break from college beacause I got Mononucleosis last semester. I have been grinding 2/4 and 3/6 SHLHE the last 4 months. I'm starting studying again next semester.

Do you like it? Yes. But I wish my winrate was better. I also wish my progression was faster. I want to get back at 10/20

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? Well-suited: Love for the game. Poorly-suited: Some times I'm not selfdiciplined enough.

What kind of people do best in your work? Meh...

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? None

What is a typical day like? My sleeping schedule change from week to week. Wake up, breakfast, surf the internet, poker, dinner, work out, hang out with friends, eat, poker, go to bed.

What kind of problems do you encounter? To be diciplined enough to put in 40+ hours a week. To be diciplined enough to not play when I'm not playing my A game.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? Downswings of 100BB or more

How much do you make? Averaging $2500 a month.

How much can one expect to make in your position? Meh...
Old 02-27-2007, 02:18 PM

What do you do?

CPA, manager of an accouting firm.

Do you like it?

Nahhh, I just can't make more money as a poker player.

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work?

The ability to be OK with people not liking me!

Excellent technical,concise writing, ability to look at the big picture, solve problems, communicte my intentions to people clearly both orally and the written word.

What kind of people do best in your work?

People who have the ability to think independently. You have to be able to be the little kid in "The Emporer's New Clothes"

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you?

Five year accoutning degree, pass a rigorous licensing test. The ability to work a slave like apprenticeship if you can do the first two things mentioned here. Then the ability not to see your girlfriend/wife or family because you will be too busy working.

What is a typical day like?

Don't look at me, I am a-typical. I work a regular 9 to 5 day which is the condition that I stipulated to my employer when I took this job, NO overtime, No Saturdays or Sundays.

I basically supervise about five accountants. However, I am at the point in my career where I hang out, while I am interrupted by work.

What kind of problems do you encounter?

Incompetents, you would be amazed how confused the chief financial officers are in most places. Stubborness from the clients, it is incredible how people try to defy the laws of economics and accounting.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation?

Idiocy and stupidity, from people who should know better, is the biggest source of frustration.

Watching former clients go to prison for fraud is the biggest source of elation.

How much do you make?

$150K, plus bennies of a 12% match of my salary to the retirement plan and medical insurance.

How much can one expect to make in your position?

Probably $250K plus the bennies if they are willing to put in 60 to 70hrs a week. I learned being in this profession money isn't everything. I had to take time to enjoy my life.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:21 PM

I have a good job but I really dislike talking about it.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a good job but I really dislike talking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ] Account Manager for an legal publishing company: territory consists of large law firms

[ QUOTE ]
Do you like it?

[/ QUOTE ] Love it. Good job --- overall low stress, though peaks of high stress during contract negotiations

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of people do best in your work?

[/ QUOTE ] Independent thinkers; people who can get the "big picture"; people persons; good instructors; people who can think strategically

[ QUOTE ]
What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you?

[/ QUOTE ] In the exact position I have, you need a law degree and a pulse. It helps to have prior experience with the company (I've worked here for 4 years before becoming an Account Manager working our help-desk and building/designing our web product)

[ QUOTE ]
What is a typical day like?

[/ QUOTE ] I usually work from home 2 days a week. On the days I am downtown, I visit firms, train people on our product, have contract meetings, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of problems do you encounter?

[/ QUOTE ] Difficult contract negotiations (as the contracts are generally quite substantial.) Constantly learning new products.

[ QUOTE ]
What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation?

[/ QUOTE ]
No huge sources of frustration. Successful negotiations are a pretty big source of elation.

[ QUOTE ]
How much do you make? How much can one expect to make in your position?

[/ QUOTE ]

I make a decent salary and we have a decent bonus structure depending on territory sales and revenue. The salary runs about 75% of my total compensation which provides for a decent amount of stability month-to-month.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:02 PM

What do you do? Film & Television writer/producer/director. I also find myself editing this week.

Do you like it? It all depends on the project. But on the whole, yes.

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? Well, I'm very creative-minded and need the constant chaos and daily changes to be interested in what I'm doing. I'd be no good at a job that was repetitive or the "same old same old" day in and day out.

What kind of people do best in your work? Talented, hard-workers. Intelligence and some culture is nice, too.

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? Experience. Climbing up through the ranks. A film degree means bupkus to most people in this field. Also, an absolute love of what you do. And a close relationship with financial hardship doesn't hurt, either.

What is a typical day like? That's what's great about my job: there is no typical day. It usually revolves around pre-production, production and post-production. Some days I'm writing up budgets or creating a script, others I'm traveling all over the country shooting various kinds of shows or commercials or corporate crap, and others I'm in an editing bay hammering out a cut with an editor.

What kind of problems do you encounter? This line of work is naturally difficult, high-pressure and sometimes frustrating. Clients can be unreasonable, tempers flare....really nothing too different from any job, I would think.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? Frustration is usually caused by the person who owns the studio I work for. He has no clue how to run a company. Elation is rare, though satisfaction is often possible. And that comes from figuring out a particular problem, making a client thrilled with the end product, or just creating something artistically pleasing.

How much do you make? $85k/year plus various bonuses. I also sometimes take freelance jobs that bumps me over 100K. Having a salaried position like I do right now is very rare - some years I've made as little as $10K, some as much as $250K...so, as you can see it's quite volatile.

How much can one expect to make in your position? Sky's the limit.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much do you make? $48K/yr, plus bonuses, 401k matching and benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have an MBA and you took a job makeing 48k, I have to ask why.

natedogg
Old 02-28-2007, 12:58 PM

What do you do? Sr Managing Engineer

Do you like it? I go in cycles. Typically six months yes and six months no.

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? I like approaching things from a structured/logical standpoint and have learned to apply this engineering perspective to management.

What kind of people do best in your work? Somewhat dedicated with engineering background. Need to be able to adjust priorities on a continuous basis while satisfying multiple customers (internal/external).

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? A bachelors in engineering and typically 10+ years of experience or a Masters to get to Senior level. I did well enough in my first five years somehow to get it without either.

What is a typical day like? Check e-mails, get coffee, walk the floor talk to people check the departments. Production meeting, engineering meetings, project meetings, some firefighting, and then some project work.

What kind of problems do you encounter? Internal politics and red tape is the worst. So much wasted time and resources on BS.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? Frustration is mostly convincing MBA's above that not everything you expend capital on needs to have an ROI of X months or years to have a positive effect on the long term growth of the company. Elation - completing a project that will save big $$ or seeing someone under me get promoted because they have developed well within the organization.

How much do you make? Depends on profit sharing and stock options ~$90 - $100K+ on average years.

How much can one expect to make in your position? Base will top out at ~$110. Out of school 7 years ago I started at about $40K.

Orange
Old 02-28-2007, 02:05 PM

college student, i despise it. no willpower to do something that isn't immeadiately satisfying and the ability to act this way in life because of poker. classes are so boring! i have dream classes right now, an indepedent study with my favorite teacher, a spanish literature class which is v. challenging, spanish conversation class, and jazz dance but they're just so boring. it's all reading and listening, the last one should be different that's why i took it.