Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Wynn $1000+60 NLHE... The Most Painful Bad Beat of my Life

This reminds me of the story Lederer told about Stu Unger on Poker After Dark the other day. The tournament is on the bubble and Stu is mercilessly stealing blinds and antes. He gets KK and raises as usual and is called by a shortstack. Stu calls and busts the guys Ax. He is pissed later when he busts out short of victory saying he should have laid down the kings as he could have added a lot more to his stack by continuing to steal blinds and antes while everyone else was afraid of bubbling.

Lay down the big hand when you're the chip leader and steal, steal, steal seems to be Stu's lesson learned.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:16 PM

thats a very interesting point and one to def be considered.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so basically... you got AA and you lost... and not particularly deep in the tourney... and not a particularly big buyin event... and you only had about the average amount of chips... so basically you're saying "one time i got AA and i lost"

[/ QUOTE ]

not everyone plays $1000 tourneys every day. for many (myself included), this would sting quite a bit. maybe this forum should be split into "high stakes bbv" and "bbv for the masses".

[/ QUOTE ]

bbv for the masses would be retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right, it does suck.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of the story Lederer told about Stu Unger on Poker After Dark the other day. The tournament is on the bubble and Stu is mercilessly stealing blinds and antes. He gets KK and raises as usual and is called by a shortstack. Stu calls and busts the guys Ax. He is pissed later when he busts out short of victory saying he should have laid down the kings as he could have added a lot more to his stack by continuing to steal blinds and antes while everyone else was afraid of bubbling.

Lay down the big hand when you're the chip leader and steal, steal, steal seems to be Stu's lesson learned.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't Stu Ungar and it wasn't Howard Lederer. And he won the hand.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Different situation. I was 2nd on table but our table was really short. I only had 8.5m's, average was 7.5, so if I had a chance to double up I was taking it.

I obviously don't care that much about $1400, but it is pretty annoying, and I would have been in top 3 in chips and one of the two best players left in the field.

I like the "stu unger" theory only in the terms of taking longshot gambles. For example, you open with J8o, get shoved in on by the BB, you're getting 3-1 to call, it's more advantageous to not double the player up and not try to bust him, but only in the circumstances of you having a massive chip lead and the rest of the table being somewhat equal and shorter.

Devo
Old 02-28-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so basically... you got AA and you lost... and not particularly deep in the tourney... and not a particularly big buyin event... and you only had about the average amount of chips... so basically you're saying "one time i got AA and i lost"

[/ QUOTE ]

not everyone plays $1000 tourneys every day. for many (myself included), this would sting quite a bit. maybe this forum should be split into "high stakes bbv" and "bbv for the masses".

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh never claimed to play 1k events every day. that doesn't mean it's not a relatively small buyin tournament. and it's not like he missed out on 12k by not making the bubble. and he wasn't close enough to a real score that it should hurt all that much. if he's buying into a 1k event when making the bubble means a lot to him, then he's an idiot for buying in. standard donkament beat

[/ QUOTE ]

niggard