Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Wi-fi Troubles

Hello all.

I currently am using a Dell B130 Laptop with a Dell Wireless 1370 Mini-PCI card.

Anyway, I have no trouble connecting to most free, open-access networks. This is never a problem.

However, the Wi-Fi in my school office never seems to work. This network is free for students; it is open-access, and without WEP. To tell the truth, I connect every time I am in the office, and my wireless settings tell me the signal is strong. Everything appears to be fine, except when I actually try to connect to the internet through, say Mozilla. I am given an error message telling me the server is unavailable.

I have been troubleshooting this for a while. I tried changing my group name, resetting the router, checking my IP address, repairing the wireless card, and just about everything I can think of.

Incidentally, I can connect to other networks in the same range while I cannot connect to this one. I have been leeching bandwith from another network until now; suddenly, today, the other open-access network disappeared.

Does anyone have any idea what may be the problem? I think it may be something easy. I use McAffee Anti-Virus and Firewall, but I have no trouble accessing other networks. Another student using a laptop supposedly accessed this Wi-Fi without trouble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-ryan
Old 02-15-2006, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Wi-fi Troubles

Sounds a bit unlikely... if it doesn't work, how do you KNOW it isn't encrypted?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds a bit unlikely... if it doesn't work, how do you KNOW it isn't encrypted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the directors of the program have told me it's not encrypted, and it doesn't show up as encrypted when I view wireless networks. I really have no clue on this one.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:35 PM

You could try chaning the channel or SSID
Old 02-16-2006, 02:11 PM

Oh, and I´ve been looking at the wireless networks recently through Netstumbler, and for some reason the channel number is listed as 11*. I´m not sure what the asterisk means. Additionally, the SSID doesn´t show up under the SSID list, for anyone familiar with Netstumbler. It shows up under a different network which requires a WEP key. Any takers now?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:43 PM

Well, it sounds increasingly like you've been given wrong info and it's WEP encrypted (the * means it's a network you're "associated" with). Can you check the setup of another PC that successfully accesses it?
Old 02-16-2006, 04:59 PM

Sounds more like they might have a proxy address for internet access. Check with the Network Admin and get the IP. Then in IE or FireFox just go to your Connection settings and enter it there.

gold
Old 02-17-2006, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and I´ve been looking at the wireless networks recently through Netstumbler, and for some reason the channel number is listed as 11*. I´m not sure what the asterisk means. Additionally, the SSID doesn´t show up under the SSID list, for anyone familiar with Netstumbler. It shows up under a different network which requires a WEP key. Any takers now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just purchased this laptop for my parents, and when setting it up, I connected it to my (WPA-PSK, TKIP, non-broadcast SSID) wireless network. After running netstumbler, I was seeing the same problem with not accessing websites via IE/FF.

A reboot did the trick. Not sure why running netstumbler causes the havok, but I believe it does something with the NIC driver (perhaps putting it in promiscous mode). Reboot after each time running netstumbler.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:34 PM

I am sorry that I am not tech-savvy enough to give you a good explanation ... but there is a problem with Dell network cards and their failure to connect to some networks. I did a lot of searching on the net for an answer/resolution, and have not been able to find one. I will be going tomorrow to get a new card and stop using the Dell one that came with my laptop. I don't believe there is another fix.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:58 PM

Follow-up -- bought a Netgear card this morning, installed, and am on the network which I couldn't get on yesterday no problem. In summary: Dell cards SUCK.