Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Who Are the Best \"Tight\" Players to Model After?

Jennifer Harmon
Old 02-28-2007, 03:08 AM

barryg, but he is tightish plus tricky squeezes, and STRONG BLUFFs
Old 02-28-2007, 06:24 AM

I think Jen Harms and Barry G are both great tight/agressive players to model yourself after. You can see a lot of this in action on HSP.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:22 AM

gabe thaylor
Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 AM

Lee Markholt.......one of the most UNDERATED players in the world,and that includes a pretty SOLID cash game as well

~stephen f.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:17 AM

Wow...but I wouldn't characterize Barry as tight aggressive. He's a chameleon type player, who adjusts his overall play to whatever suits the table (doing the opposite of his opponents to maximize value/efficiency). He can be loose aggressive (against guys like Hellmuth), tight aggressive/passive (like against Randy Jensen on WPT Season 2), or just plain aggressive (like his all-in bluffs)...basically, I love his game, but don't think he's that tight.

Gabe Thaler is tight? ...I haven't seen enough of him.

David Grey and Jen Harman...yes. Even Erick Lindgren. I'll have to check out more of Lee Markholt when I can. My feeling, though, is that David Grey's BORING tight game may be the best around.

-TheMan

(p.s. To newly acquired fans voting for me to appear on my own primetime poker show as a commentator...Yes, yes, I greatly appreciate your love and support, but I am now officially a reformed man. Jus call me TheReformedMan, lol...no more mindless, random, crazy posts...Well, at least I'll try ... apologies to those I may have offended with my previous rants. Again, I just love this game so much and love any/all chat, so I can get carried away sometimes. ...But more important is respecting everyone and I want to do that better!)
Old 02-28-2007, 08:47 AM

In a tournament? John Juanda. The guy just waits and waits out the bad players and picks his spots precisely. Gotta be the reason he's made all of those WPT final tables and whatnot.

In a cash game? Gimme Barry Greenstein's game to model after. The guy has the best patience. He's in no rush to make anything happen, and he goes w/ his instincts more than anyone. I just love the way you can see his mind "turning" and thinking about what he is about to do. Then as ur thinking on the couch (do this or do that) he actually DOES what ur thinking most of the time.

BTW Gabe Thaler is the MOST underrated player PERIOD.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a tournament? John Juanda. The guy just waits and waits out the bad players and picks his spots precisely. Gotta be the reason he's made all of those WPT final tables and whatnot.

In a cash game? Gimme Barry Greenstein's game to model after. The guy has the best patience. He's in no rush to make anything happen, and he goes w/ his instincts more than anyone. I just love the way you can see his mind "turning" and thinking about what he is about to do. Then as ur thinking on the couch (do this or do that) he actually DOES what ur thinking most of the time.

BTW Gabe Thaler is the MOST underrated player PERIOD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey that was a great descript of Barry...Yes, I've noticed too that he does exactly what you think he would/should do and guts to always follow through - unlike a lot of other guys.

But yes, I was talking mostly cash games, not tourneys.

-TheMan
Old 02-28-2007, 09:08 AM

for any of you that watch live at the bike, one of the older school players Avo is one of the tightest but most successful cash game players out there...he playes 50/100 live against like the mouth and stuff now
Old 02-28-2007, 09:25 AM

Avo is sick. That guy is a great player too. Solid all around, and doesn't mix it up when he doesn't have to. Totally forgot about him; he's on that Gabe Thaler-level, maybe even better.